Sign in to follow this  

spark issues

i bought my 93 xr as a project bike, everything was apart, brand new (built) motor, i put everything back together, and no spark. i did all the tests by the manual, most things checked out, all the sensors checked, only questionable things were the coil and/or CDI. i installed a brand new (aftermarket) coil, still no spark. bought a used CDI for 20 bucks and swapped it, no spark. do u think i should just get a brand new CDI? i mean what's the chances of both (used) CDIs are bad? i read that its a common problem, but what do u guys think? $140 is alot of money to "experiment" with....

" I did all the tests by the manual"...What tests would those be then. If theirs no spark at all you should be looking to the Stator. Most attention should be concentrated on the wire that leaves the Stator and provides spark. As the bike gets older that particular wire has a habit of fraying or snapping between the Stator and where it exits the LH case down by the sprocket..Wear and tear on it leads to failure. Lean the bike over towards the right (to prevent it dumping oil everywhere) and remove the cover and check the wiring from the Stator all the way up to where it connects under the Tank..Unwrap or cut the outer plastic covering as needed (not the plastic that covers the wire) as sometimes the break or flimsy attachment is hidden..Make sure you are checking the correct wire as one runs the lights and one does the sparking...Re tape everything back up when you've finished doing the full eyeball inspection with your eyeometer. You can use a multi meter but I prefer the eyeball as a flimsy attachment will still say ok with the multi but put vibration and movement together and you have a problem if the wiring connections a bit dodgy.

Edited by Horri

Check the kill button too. I've seen them go bad and stay grounded full time even when the button is returning correctly.

all the resistance tests at the coil and CDI connector. i'll look at the stator, there shouldnt be much oil in there yet as i just put 1 quart in there, and the motor was completely rebuilt.

all the resistance tests at the coil and CDI connector. i'll look at the stator, there shouldnt be much oil in there yet as i just put 1 quart in there, and the motor was completely rebuilt.

The stator is the most failure prone part of the ignition system. Not to say it's the only thing that ever fails as other parts could be bad as well.

You can actually take the stator cover off even will the bike full with oil if you lean it over. I put one of the straps that I normally use to hold the bike in the truck. I hook it on the handlebar and lean it over as far as I can. The oil runs to the other side and you can remove the stator cover with out an oil spill.

thanks for the tip...i hadnt given the stator any thoughts b/c the whole motor/tranny was completely rebuilt and all everything internal was apart and put back together w/ brand new components (receipts included), but i will def. give it a once over.

ok, i took the stator out today and the yellow wires are all intact. the pulse generator sensor is new and the resistance on it is within spec....aside from the CDI, i'm stumped...

check the source coil of the stator. If it is a stock stator it should read about 90 ohms between Black/Red and ground.

Rayman, none of your posts indicate what the exact model of your "93 XR" is. The ignition systems are quite different between the XR600R and XR650L.