Sign in to follow this  

Just bought a DRZ400, help needed

Hi guys. Just bought a used DRZ400 2005 model. Its the SM version with inverted forks and lights/dashboard. The bike runs 21 front 18 rear wheels with mx tires.

I bought it off a guy whos got MX tires on it and just been using it as a quarry/hill play bike and I want it for the same reasons.

A couple of questions.

First off, there is a problem with the throttle. When you try to rev the bike up basically nothing happens. If you wind the throttle all the way to the end, the last 10% throttle movement raises the revs up but not anywhere near max rpm.

I am a bit of a novice mechanically but like to give things a go. I notice there are two cables coming from the throttle assembly on this bike which worries me.

Is one or more of the cables broken?

Or is it just some sort of adjustment that needs doing?

Will I need to buy a new cable(s) ?

Could it be anything else thats causing this problem?

What should I do to trouble shoot this problem?

Secondly, the guy who I bought the bike from said the brakes are binding a little as its been sitting not getting used for 6 months. The bike can be pushed but you notice it doesnt move freely.

Whats causing this and how do I correct it? I have an MX lift type stand so can get the bike off the ground to remove wheels and stuff.

Cheers for any help in advance,

Graham

Edited by uber_pimp

Hi Graham, a fellow brit I see!

There are two cables, one to pull the throttle open, the other to pull it closed. if you unscrew the cover on the carb, you should be able to see if its operating ok. they turn a wheel. I have to say its not a prob Ive come accross before. When you open the throttle does the bike sound like its gasping for air/fuel or ie is there any change in engine noise?

I'd also check all the tubes and pipes around the carb, that the fuel is getting to the carb and the vacuum pipe is connected to the tap. That the air filter is all connected properly and that theres no cover fitted!

dan

Hi Graham, a fellow brit I see!

There are two cables, one to pull the throttle open, the other to pull it closed. if you unscrew the cover on the carb, you should be able to see if its operating ok. they turn a wheel. I have to say its not a prob Ive come accross before. When you open the throttle does the bike sound like its gasping for air/fuel or ie is there any change in engine noise?

I'd also check all the tubes and pipes around the carb, that the fuel is getting to the carb and the vacuum pipe is connected to the tap. That the air filter is all connected properly and that theres no cover fitted!

dan

Hi there mate, yup from the good old UK.

When you pull the throttle theres no change in engine noise at all. If you pull it open all the way, the last final twist of the throttle before its fully open raises the revs a little, to mid-way up the revs if that.

The guy I bought the bike off said he literally started and revved the bike this morning before I arrived and said it felt as if the cable broke as he did it but he wasnt sure as he doesnt have a clue about bikes.

Does any of that info help?

I will be able to look at the bike properly tomorrow and try any suggestions anyone has on here

Yup I'd check the cables first, always a good idea to look for the simple thinngs first. You should be able to see if the cable is opening the carb easily enough or you can unscrew the twistgrip and have a look in there. Fitting new cables is pretty easy, just make sure you get them routed correctly

Too cold in my garage even with the heater on !!! no snow yet tho.

Dan

Yup I'd check the cables first, always a good idea to look for the simple thinngs first. You should be able to see if the cable is opening the carb easily enough or you can unscrew the twistgrip and have a look in there. Fitting new cables is pretty easy, just make sure you get them routed correctly

Too cold in my garage even with the heater on !!! no snow yet tho.

Dan

Plenty snow here mate, Im in Scotland!

If I check the cables and they dont appear to be broken or snapped, what would it likely be then thats causing the problem?

Also, what would be causing the brakes to bind? I would like to try get that sorted tomorrow too (sunday)

Thanks,

Graham