Sign in to follow this  

Honda choke problem

hi i have a problem with my rincon 650. when i start the quad with the choke in full it wont go back down. any reasons why it don't want to go back down?????

hi i have a problem with my rincon 650. when i start the quad with the choke in full it wont go back down. any reasons why it don't want to go back down?????

I am assuming you mean the IDLE???? The choke will make it idle faster. What I do is start on full choke, then immediately after it starts, back the choke down to a reasonable idle speed (just enough choke to keep it from dying). Might have to baby the throtle a bit too, to keep it from dying.

Remember....most engine wear occurs at a cold start (!), while the oil is thick and isn't pumping well, so you absolutely never want to have high idle on a cold engine!

Another great asset on a cold start, is an ester synthetic oil (I run Redline or Maxima)! These molecules are charged like little magnets so they stick to the metal surface, and you always have a layer of oil molecules there on a cold start. This is unlike petroleum or the other two type of syntheics, where the molecules are uncharged and won't stick to freaking anything!

I am assuming you mean the IDLE???? The choke will make it idle faster. What I do is start on full choke, then immediately after it starts, back the choke down to a reasonable idle speed (just enough choke to keep it from dying). Might have to baby the throtle a bit too, to keep it from dying.

Remember....most engine wear occurs at a cold start (!), while the oil is thick and isn't pumping well, so you absolutely never want to have high idle on a cold engine!

Another great asset on a cold start, is an ester synthetic oil (I run Redline or Maxima)! These molecules are charged like little magnets so they stick to the metal surface, and you always have a layer of oil molecules there on a cold start. This is unlike petroleum or the other two type of syntheics, where the molecules are uncharged and won't stick to freaking anything!

yes it is the idle that is my problem it wont go back down it just stays really high because the choke is stuck full

this might be late, but had same issue and followed this advice....

it is your IACV valve. common problem on fuel injected bikes. you need a t20 torx bit that is a security bit. it has a hole in the center. there are two screw on top of the TBI unit under the seat where you need to loosen and take out that valve. there is a small motor with a little screw that powers a plunger up and down to regulate airflow. supposedly the grease they used on it is thick when it gets colder out and hangs up. clean the screw with brake cleaner and then re lube with a light lubricant. fixed mine if it is still under warenty go get a new one installed.

check out this link....

http://www.rinconriders.com/index.cfm?action=thread&catid=25&topid=142&thrid=56141#p617118