Sign in to follow this  

sl70 cxf50/70 engine differences?

i was wondering what the differences in a sl70 and a cfr70 engine are?. they look the same and look like they can be inter changed in the frames.

questions:

-an sl70 is 6v and points. will modern cdi 12v parts bolt right on?

-will a modern 88cc kit bolt onto an sl70? or any of the big bore kits?

thank you for any help

10707313.jpg

There are big bore kits, but I personally don't know exactly what works and doesn't

www.dratv.com has a lot of cheap parts, upgrades for 6v and 12v motors.. But it takes research and figuring out what works and what doesn't

Yes, check with DRATV as it depends on what you are wanting to do. If all you want to do is go to an 88cc cylinder, then go here:

http://dratv.com/infoonfitment.html

it has a chart that explains what piston you will need to use. Any of the 88cc kits you see on ebay or whatever for the 50's will have the new style piston, which if used with your cylinder head, will result in very low compression so you will ned to order a piston for the short style crank. I don't believe the modern cdi's will work because your bike will have a lighting coil and a larger flywheel. Hope this that helps.

we have kits for both 6v older type motors and 12v newer types

its mostly the deck hight on the piston pin that different

we have kits for both 6v older type motors and 12v newer types

Sweet!!! I wasn't aware that you carried the kits for the vintage bikes, thanks for the info! :moon:

Wow! I've never seen one of these. Were they ever sold in the U.S.?

Wow! I've never seen one of these. Were they ever sold in the U.S.?

I think they quit selling them sometime in the 70's-80's

they are titled and can be made street legal! Some people have some really nice custom ones for street cruising

Yes, an SL70 engine will work in any Z/CT/XR/CRF50/70 frame. You will need the correct wiring harness as well. I am currently running an SL70 based engine with TB88 Race Head kit in my Honda Z50 Monkey. A plus about the SL70 engines, they come with a 4-speed manual clutch.

www.tbparts.com sells big bore kits specifically for the SL70's.

Check here:

http://www.hondatrailbikes.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=f41f5b4ba01e9c3dfdf4d8e90da73435