Sign in to follow this  

Advice on Project Husky

I have the chance to buy a 1979 Husqvarna 390 that is a basket case. It apparently ran when the guy bought it and he was planning on restoring it. Now its missing the rear suspension, seat, number plate, and all the bar controls for sure. But sounds like it has everything else other than a few odds and ends with the bike.

I was thinking i would make the trip to go take a look at it next week since I will be passing though the area the bike is in on my way home for the holidays. It would be a nice peice beside my 610 sm i think.

Any advice on what its worth, if its worth a look, or if you think i should stay away let me know

He also has a 76 wr 250 that is complete but has a seized motor. He thinks it needs a piston but also has a spare complete bottom end with it. Is this bike worth looking at too?

Thanks

Great bike but I wouldn't give a whole lot for it because of all the other money you will have to put back into it.

I got a 77 390 last summer for $300. (about $250 too much) said it just needed the carb cleaned cause he rode it last year. when I got there kid was gone, left for college, parents didn't know anything about the bike. I tried to kick it over but the kickstart spring was broken. I bought it anyway dumb me. Yep spring was broke due to the engine being locked up. Lower end had water in it when I pulled it apart. I did get a real nice mouse nest in the air filter housing! on the plus side it had a perfect tank, no dents just a little paint fade here and there. Pipe perfect too! no dents.

its all about the price, fun bikes easy to restore,

but one can spend more then the bike is worth making them run, and look nice.

Great bike but I wouldn't give a whole lot for it because of all the other money you will have to put back into it.

I got a 77 390 last summer for $300. (about $250 too much) said it just needed the carb cleaned cause he rode it last year. when I got there kid was gone, left for college, parents didn't know anything about the bike. I tried to kick it over but the kickstart spring was broken. I bought it anyway dumb me. Yep spring was broke due to the engine being locked up. Lower end had water in it when I pulled it apart. I did get a real nice mouse nest in the air filter housing! on the plus side it had a perfect tank, no dents just a little paint fade here and there. Pipe perfect too! no dents.

im looking for a nice tank...and some other bits for a 79

I was thinking max of $500 CAD if everything is there. He said it ran a couple years ago before taking it apart but god only knows. if i can turn the motor over i think i should be in ok shape. He says the tank is minty the frame has been stripped and re painted, and has the stock pipe in great shape.

just remember one real important fact...

they ALL ran a few years ago, sitting, or siiting outdoors, it real hard on a motorcycle.

most will be locked up from sitting.

i just picked up 4 bikes that ran they day they were parked, and then stored in a shed, covered with a tarp..

3 out of 4 were locked up..i have 2 freed up, and one running, but the last one, may be a challange..

Stick no higher than $50-$100 for a basket case. The WR is worth upward of $400 providing it's in great shape. A key things I look at -being complete is a big deal(aluminum tanks are worth $150 in need of paint!). EVERY bike I buy is stripped to the frame and 100% rebuilt if I plan on racing it and it runs about $2,000++ for the rebuild. The '79, restored is worth $2500~, not one of the more collectable Husky's. The '76 is about the same due in large part to the tranny(wr) - the cr is worth more.

Go for it!