Sign in to follow this  

Want less engine braking

Hi

Any tips on how to lessen the engine braking on my 450 sx?

I have been thinking of using two cylinderfoot gaskets to lessen the compression somewhat. Is this a good ide? Is there any others? I have already a rather high idle so I need more tips. Can I run a lighter flywheel? Or other?

A 450 will always be to much for a little guy like me so if I loose a couple of horses when installing two gaskets doesn´t matter:-)

:moon:

Would lowering the compression really help? I've always thought its the vacuum created during the intake stroke when the throttle is chopped that causes all the engine braking effect. I just control the amount of engine braking with the throttle.

Faster idle to what point you can cope with it, if that is not enough a slipper clutch like the motard guys use is a slick slick deal!!

ditto:busted:

it can't get any easier or cheaper than this solution---right kelly?:moon:

I think that maybe he's coming off of riding/racing 2-strokes & therefore isn't used to the engine braking that 4-strokes have

once he gains more riding time, I think the urge to reduce engine braking will go away:thumbsup:

shoot---pulling in the clutch is almost natural, i used to do it a lot of times just to not let my 2-stroke die when coming into a corner really hard & fast while braking the rear & skidding it around to change direction quickly

Ahhhh...those were the days!!

they didn't call my 2-stroke a 2-smoke because of the fact that some 2-strokes put out way too much smoky air

-----they called me a 2-smoke BECAUSE I was there----and then very quickly I WAS GONE!!!!!:cheers:

I have just bought a Rekluze, I don´t think it will do anything to lessen the engine braking but the clutch will have a easier pull. And I will not stall as often!

Yes I have been riding twostrokes most of my life, but the last five years have been on 4 bangers. So I am no beginner, but I think less enginebraking makes me just a bit faster.

If you go to a hotter cam with less lobe seperation that would do the trick. Talk to a cam guy, you could change the feel quit a bit that way. Matt

Thanks!

I can see why less lobe separation will cause less engine braking. This probably mean a little less abrubt bottom end but more hit in the mid or top?

Thanks a lot

I don't like much decel braking myself. I much prefer a 2stroke over a 4 on corner entries but ride a 4 for improved street manners.

Turn the idle way up. Works wonders.

An auto clutch does help especially if you take advantage and run a higher gear. It's tunable for what ever you want.

Run a gear higher and you'll get your corner speed up. Use the clutch on the exit to maintain RPM up if needed.

What clutch master do you have? A 9.0 is easier to modulate than a 9.5. You have to move the lever farther to do the same work with the 9.0. Cheap to try with a used unit.

Exactly like me :moon:

Do you also have an auto clutch? If so Which configuration do you have?

I am debating with myself if I shall go with medium /soft or high/hard configuration (Z-pro)

I just came off a 2strk to a 4strk and the prev owner had it geared tall to limit comp braking. The gear change gave the bike no snap off the bottom. I regeared to achieve better performance and gained a load of compresion braking.

Until I get an auto clutch I have developed a riding method for corners mimicking some of what the auto clutch does.

Having owned a few bikes with Rekluse pro's I have a good understanding of the abuse the clutch can take. A clutch is 100 bucks and 15 minutes of work, a broken ars is thousands and months of recovery.

To the point! I get most of my braking done coming in the corner and keep a slight turn on the throttle keeping the RPM's up , with a touch on the clutch to keep the bike level and tracking true. Of course this works 3 out of five times perfect. A reckluse equipped bike does it every time.

Even some of the pro's use slipper clutches.

Faster idle. Definately. Also SEEMs to make the bike feel a little lighter in the tight stuff. Not sure why but just seems that way to me.