Sign in to follow this  

little help for my new bike

ok guys, i bet you have seen my recent posts. bought an 04 s model this week. it wouldnt start, since it sat for 2 years, so i pulled the carb and cleaned it and got it to start. replaced the stock pcock with one from a wr400 (save some money). the bike is running, i took it on a small ride yesterday to see how it does. it pops alot on decel and whenever i go to change gears, you know by releasing the throttle it pops every time. it also seems to lose power in the higher rpms. i had an 06 s model a while back but sold it. this one seems to ride a bit rougher. i may have not got the idle right, im not sure what is going on. i want to look at the spark plug, but dont know where that is located :moon:. thanks alot

i think they always pop on deceleration but yours sounds like it pop a bit more than it should. i haven't taken the spark plug off recently, but it strikes me that you have to remove the gas tank to get a wrench in there on the left side. i need to use a magnet to get the socket containing the spark plug out AFTER i loosen it with a ratchet and an extension.

i think they always pop on deceleration but yours sounds like it pop a bit more than it should. i haven't taken the spark plug off recently, but it strikes me that you have to remove the gas tank to get a wrench in there on the left side. i need to use a magnet to get the socket containing the spark plug out AFTER i loosen it with a ratchet and an extension.

ok thanks for that, and ya i am sure it is popping more than normal

You need to remove the tank. Two bolts under the front of the seat, a screw on each radiator shroud and the fuel line. Leave the shrouds on the tank.

The spark plug is deep in the top of the engine. I don't think a regular spark plug socket will fit in there. Do you have the original tool kit that came with the bike?

Also what exhaust does it have? Could be why it's popping.

You need to remove the tank. Two bolts under the front of the seat, a screw on each radiator shroud and the fuel line. Leave the shrouds on the tank.

The spark plug is deep in the top of the engine. I don't think a regular spark plug socket will fit in there. Do you have the original tool kit that came with the bike?

Also what exhaust does it have? Could be why it's popping.

i do have the tool kit, so i think i'll have the tool. it is the stock exhaust. but ya it pops alot more than it should

I would start by installing a James Dean Jet kit and doing the 3x3 mod. The loss of power at high rpm and the excessive popping could simply be a jetting issue. I know you said you cleaned the carb but those tiny holes in the jets are difficult to get thoroughly cleaned with can cause a poor running bike. And stock bikes really benefit from a jetting anyway. I recommend you jet the carb and make sure you have a clean tank and fresh fuel.

When my bike sits more than a month, you can almost garantee the pilot jet will be clogged...maybe not all the way, but enough for for it to run crappy at idle, low end throttle opening.

The other popping and loss of top end will be more than likely the main jet.

At this point I would....

Buy a decent set of metric tools.....the stuff in the bike toolbag sucks.

I would at least get a new pilot, main jet and then get an adjustable mixture screw. Look at the jetting database for guidance, also search for the 3x3 mod.

It isn't hard to dial these bikes in, you just need to get familiar with the steps, and have some good tools to help you do it faster/better.:moon:

thanks guys, i do have a good tool set, i was just letting him know that i do have the spark plug wrench. i did plug the vacuum line coming from the carb but maybe not well enough, what would you guys use for that? i'll look around for the right pilot jet and main jet and just order the 2, i dont feel like spending 70+ bucks right now, so i'll just get what i need. i live in tucson, az at 2k elevation.