07 CRF450X JD Kit Tune Help Please

Pulled the carb off and did the following MOD's.

JD kit 165 main, Blue tip needle with clip in second groove from top. (until weather warms up)

Merge spring

Merge stainless allen head carb screws.

R&D FlexJet fuel screw 1 & 1/8 turns out to start.

I am not going to cut the air box for now. Even have the snorkle still in place. I like what I've read about the filter staying cleaner this way.

I also pulled the baffle to cut off the last 2 disks then re-inserted into the spark arrestor.

Turned on the fuel, pulled out the choke lever, twist throttle twice, hit the magic button, spun over a few times and started right up! Idle was nice and smooth even after warm up and choke pushed back in. Before this bike was a real pain to start cold :moon: and cranky until completely warmed up!

Took it for a spin up and down the street today and then tried to adjust the Fuel Screw. I have a hesitation/bog off idle and when adjusting the fuel screw with raised idle speed it won't die with the fuel screw completely closed. Which indicates the pilot jet is to big, from what I've read. The carb still has the stock pilot that I believe is a 45.

I have been following this thread

Any help is appreciated.

try a 42 pilot for the off idle bog, but also double check that clip setting on the needle. 2nd from top sounds too lean. (higher settings= lean/ lower settings richer)

That Leaner setting is per JD's instructions.

I don't have a 42 jet to try so I'm going to first try the Red tip needle in the 4th position then see what effect that has.

OK, I put the red needle in with the clip in the 4th position. After warm up I adjusted the fuel screw and it will now just about die when it's fully closed. Ended up at just about 2 out for now. Can't tell much difference between 1.5 out and 2.25 out.

Still have a little bog right off idle with fast throttle movement. Do you think I should try a smaller leak jet?

OK, I put the red needle in with the clip in the 4th position. After warm up I adjusted the fuel screw and it will now just about die when it's fully closed. Ended up at just about 2 out for now. Can't tell much difference between 1.5 out and 2.25 out.

Still have a little bog right off idle with fast throttle movement. Do you think I should try a smaller leak jet?

Sure...try a 55.