Sign in to follow this  

xl 600 front sprocket

i own a mid eighties xl 600 which i want to do some trail riding over the winter.i decided to drop two teeth on the front sprocket to 13.p/number jtf281.13.the jt sprocket has a raised area between the two securing holes which the excisting sprocket did not.it was flush on both sides.the raised area is around 2mm from the face of the sprocket and the jt logo and part number are on this side.does the logo and raised area face away from the bike?the teeth on this sprocket are narrow by 2mm also.i double checked part numbers and all is correct.i would be very grateful for any info on this matter.cheers ian.

Slide the new sprocket onto the countershaft with the 2mm raised area towards the engine case, and the mounting plate and two bolts are on the outside. Before you put the chain back on, check the alignment between the two sprockets with a straightedge fit flush against the outside edge of the rear sprocket, and see if it is on the outside edge of the front sprocket.

thanks for your reply.at the minute the xl is running gpz wheels(forgot to mention this)so the lining up of the sprockets will not give me a true answer until i acquire an xl rear wheel.from what you said the 2mm lip and jt logo normally faces the bike.is this a guess or are you nearly 100% sure.as usual i will be grateful for any info whatsoever.cheers ian.

Well, the stock sprocket is located 'in-and-out' by that locator plate that fits in a machined groove in the countershaft. The screws then suck the sprocket tight against that locator plate. It's the locator plate in its groove that keeps the sprocket from drifting in towards the motor or outwards towards the end of the shaft.

So, that locator plate is the fixed point, always.

With your replacement sprocket, if you position the raised lip against the locator plate, it would move the teeth 2mm towards the motor. From that perspective, I'd guess that the raised lip does indeed face the motor.

On the other hand, you say the new sprocket is narrower than the original sprocket. Perhaps that raised lip is to compensate for the narrower design. From THAT perspective, the 2mm raised lip would face outward.

I guess the thing to do would be to install the old, and measure from the case to the inner and outer faces of the sprocket. Then, repeat with the new sprocket with lip facing in and again with lip facing out. Choose the measurement (and orientation) that matches best the stock measurements.

Or, call JT and ask them...

Good luck, and let us know which way it goes.

Kirk

kirk that makes perfect sense.ill give it ago in the next few days and report the details back to you.thanks a lot,ian.

hey can you get a pic up off ur xl with the gpz wheels sounds like a really cool mod te xl guys would love it i have one myself i would like to put street tires and rims on any advice?

i have the paris dakar type with the big tank so it looks very strange with the gpz wheels.i just scored a crf dual exhaust myself so it should be interesting how we decide to install them.the only hic-up is the lefthand sidecover which is flat as theres no silencer....i am very busy at work but will try and workout how to upload photos when i get time.cheers for the interest.