Sign in to follow this  

CRF450X... Need Advice!

I have just about made up my mind that I want a CRF450X BUT... I'm short! I'm a current Harley owner so weight isn't much of a deal to me, but I need my feet to touch the ground. It's gunna have to come down as low as I can possibly get it. I've heard about kouba links and shaving the seat down... I'm not real fond of either but I could do that. I would really like to find out if there is a "drop in" kit of some kind that will help me. I'd appreciate any info. Thanks.

I know a few people that have lowered thier X. It seems to work VERY well. One thing you can try is moving the forks up in the triple clamp which will lower the front of the bike. Then with a lowering link it should work great for you. Just my 2 cents hope it helps.

Well how short are you? Some of these changes can really change the characteristics of a motorcycle. You might be surprised how well you could do with the bike in stock form.

Allowing the triple clamps to be dropped lower is a bad idea.

The forks are tapered in the area between the stock clamping positions, and if you get too far away from the stock position, you'll be in the tapered area, and the triple clamps will not get a good grip on the forks.

Ideally, the forks should be shortened the desired amount using an internal spacer, and then mounted in the triple clamps in the stock position.

I had Slavens Racing Do my 450x front and Rear. It lowered the seat height 1.5 inches. This is the right way to lower the bike. And Worth every penny:thumbsup:

There's lot's of ways to reduce the height of any bike. The best way is to have your suspension sent out to a Race Tech dealer and have them install spacers inside the shock and forks.

How much off road focussed riding have you done? The 450X will kick your pants if you aren't adept at flipping bikes between rocks and trees at high speeds. You said you have Harley experience. Flipping a heavy bike around on the street does take skill but you have speed to carry you there. Flipping a heavy 450X at low speed can be quite a challenge if you don't have much off road experience.