Sign in to follow this  

Oil change question for a noob!

Hey guys I changed my oil tonight and had a little bit of a problem. When I put the oil drain plug back in I made sure it was snug....Now it started leaking when I put oil back in, I had to tighten it pretty good in order to get it to stop, but now I'm kinda worried because I've heard it's not good to over tighten the drain plug. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong??? And will it hurt anything because I have the drain plug real tight??? Thanks in advance...

Time for a new o-ring. Just a little nick in the right spot and o-rings will leak.

go to the hardware store and get a new silicone ring...the dealer will charge you.

So what do I go ask for? Is there no certain size I need to get?? I already thought about O-ring but sadly I can't get anywhere to get one until next week!! The oil is still slowly draining out so I guess I have to get more oil anyway.

Nevermind, I re-did everything this morning and I must have re-installed something wrong last time because it's not leaking now. So all and all I ended up wasting a quart of oil but I least I learned a good lesson....

Nevermind, I re-did everything this morning and I must have re-installed something wrong last time because it's not leaking now. So all and all I ended up wasting a quart of oil but I least I learned a good lesson....

It's likely you just had something (metal shaving, piece of dirt, etc.) stuck between the o-ring and case when the plug was initially reinstalled. So when you re-did everything, this foreign "something" probably somehow got wiped off or removed which ended the leak.

I've had this happen to me before and it can be quite annoying, especially when you have to drain and refill again. In the future, make sure both the o-ring and its mating surfaces are completely clean and free of anything that would cause it to not seal correctly. Also, don't forget to apply a thin coat of oil to the o-ring when the plug is reinstalled.