Sign in to follow this  

09 Shock - Aftermarket or stock revavle and linkage

I had my rear shock revalved to match my front which works great. In truth I had the shock compression in too far for the track I was riding and when I hit that bump and the shock stroke hit a shelf in the stroke, and instead of flowing through the stroke the shock locked up and that is what threw me breaking my arm and leg. In truth if the shock was set softer it may not have gone down this way, but then I bottom when hitting hard. That said I have struggled with the shock since day 1. So I am at a crossroads. Reading the aftermarket linkage description, this is exactly what happened.

Your stock links are generally overly progressive which means they cause the shock to feel soft initially, but by mid stroke the increased dampening and spring forces come together to create a “step” in the mid-stroke. This “step” results in a harsh, springy hit or "dead blow" feel that leads to an unpredictable ride.

I am completely sure the rear needs a new linkage, I have a powerband racing linkage on my boys KX85 as part of a complete revalve package and his rear end works incredible. I watch it and frankly am envious.

1)Should I get a new linkage like RG3 has for the bike, they seem to be the only one with a linkage not just dog bones or

2) Should I try a new shock like the Ohlins TTX or Fox

Id like a new shock but there is no assurance that I wont swap one problem for another. I think a new linkage would help but then again who knows on this bike.

Anyone run one on the 09 or even pre 09'ers can chime in.

honda-crf450-linkage.jpg

I have the RG3 linkage on my '09 and it is nothing short of magic. Completely changed the bike - A+ with Two Thumbs Way Up!

They also have new valving just updated for the '09 rear shock with their linkage. I thought last years valving was great. Can't wait to try the new valving which is in route.

Sounds promising, very. The stock progression really sucks. To me at least. Thanks for the reports.

I always wondered why linkage was never brought up more frequently with regard to the 09. Always the lowering link but not the linkage. I'm no expert but that is the first thing I noticed about the shock stroke under breaking/acceleration bump types of loads.

Ohlins ttx rear shock shotened 2mm. It will track like a blood hound. Expensive-yes. Best rear shock I have ever rode. You can go very soft and will not bottom. There is also zero cavitation. My 09 ttx is being updated to 2010 spec. They also added more stroke in their front cartridge kit. I believe the engineers at Honda are very sharp with their linkage. Although, I have run the pc link arm on all my kawi's prior with good results.

Lots of screwing with the TTX or does it work well out of the box with just a few clicks here or there assuming it is set up for your weight and level?

Do you send it out to be rebuilt?

Not alot of screwing around. Works out of the box, but can be revalved. You will be within a few clicks from new. The harder you ride it, the better it works. It is not a high maintenance shock. PM me if you need to know more.