Sign in to follow this  

Custom made coolant recovery tank

Here's a cheap and easy to make coolant recovery tank.

You can use any diameter or length pipe to suite your needs.

I used 1-1/2" pvc pipe

2) 1-1/2'' id end caps

clear tubing

2) npt barbed ends and some thread tape

Cut the pipe to length...you need

drill a hole in the center of both end caps

tap threads into the cap, I used a flare tap, and tapped so that the barbed fitting fits tight into the first couple of threads...that way you get a tight seal

tape the threads of the fittings and tighten them into the caps

use pvc glue and spread a thin layer into the ends of the pipe and assemble the caps into place.

Let the glue set for a while and attach to the bike.

The bottom tank fitting connects to the radiator over flow nipple just under the cap, the top tank fitting is a vent, that should route some where below the engine.

add a little coolant to the tank, that's it.

I got the pvc pipe free, I already had a tap and tape, so all I had to buy was the end caps, I spent about $5.00 on the whole thing.

009.jpg

013.jpg

Aren't you concerned with reduced airflow with the placement of that recovery tank?

It hasn't been a problem so far, I only over heat when I'm really abusing the the clutch and the bikes not moving, which at that point there's no air flow anyway.

But the tank can be mounted anywhere one desires.

• Like 1

Here's a cheap and easy to make coolant recovery tank.

You can use any diameter or length pipe to suite your needs.

I used 1-1/2" pvc pipe

2) 1-1/2'' id end caps

clear tubing

2) npt barbed ends and some thread tape

Cut the pipe to length...you need

drill a hole in the center of both end caps

tap threads into the cap, I used a flare tap, and tapped so that the barbed fitting fits tight into the first couple of threads...that way you get a tight seal

tape the threads of the fittings and tighten them into the caps

use pvc glue and spread a thin layer into the ends of the pipe and assemble the caps into place.

Let the glue set for a while and attach to the bike.

The bottom tank fitting connects to the radiator over flow nipple just under the cap, the top tank fitting is a vent, that should route some where below the engine.

add a little coolant to the tank, that's it.

I got the pvc pipe free, I already had a tap and tape, so all I had to buy was the end caps, I spent about $5.00 on the whole thing.

009.jpg

013.jpg

Nice post and great pics. I still have to mount my recovery tank for my Beta. The placement is always hard. I think I have to put it in front of the right radiator guard. How do you like that GasGas? The white and black look nice.

Nice post and great pics. I still have to mount my recovery tank for my Beta. The placement is always hard. I think I have to put it in front of the right radiator guard. How do you like that GasGas? The white and black look nice.

The GG is the best single track Bike I have ridden yet, I had to revalve the suspension to plush it but that's about it.

Being round there is almost zero air flow restriction as there is almost no contact with the radiator......but mine came from Moto Hose

002-2.jpg

That's pretty sweet !, I thought about making one out of clear pvc, you can get the pipe and caps in clear...but I wanted to stay under $10.00 to prove a point to a fellow rider, he spent over $30.00 for one off the net.

That's pretty sweet !, I thought about making one out of clear pvc, you can get the pipe and caps in clear...but I wanted to stay under $10.00 to prove a point to a fellow rider, he spent over $30.00 for one off the net.

I spent $12 shipped for a used ktm quad recovery tank on ebay . It could be a tad smaller it will work . I saw some new ones for upward of $60. ..Crazy.. Your $5. buy is pretty awesome.:moon:

quick questions, any coolant recovery system for OHV's will work right? and how do these work? o btw siick setup ima have 2 show my dad and see if we can build one

Yes to Q 1 at least the ones I know of

The Radiator cap has a built in pressure release spring, when the pressure in the cooling system exceeds the cap's holding pressure, the pressure is vented out the overflow along with coolant.

This venting process creats negetive pressure in the cooling system.

As the system cools the pressure equalizes, meaning it sucks air back in thru the overflow tube.

By adding a tank, when the cooling system blows, the coolant is dumped into the tank, then as the system cools the negetive pressure in the cooling system sucks the coolant from the tank back into the system.

As I understand it, Jump in if anyone has a better explaination.

i used an empty bacon bits container and zip tied it to the radiator guard on the right side. it cost me 1.89 and i ate the bacon bits

• Like 3

i used an empty bacon bits container and zip tied it to the radiator guard on the right side. it cost me 1.89 and i ate the bacon bits

"Nice"

Bacon flavored coolant!

• Like 2

Hey I've got a question?

I know how the coolant gets out of the radiator. Mine has a 1.4 cap which is spring loaded. So I understand how the coolant gets out. (When the pressure builds it pushes out pass the resistance of the spring cap) But when it cools?

If the cap closes because of the spring. How does the coolant get back in???

Doesn't the cap stop it from going back in?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. But I can't seem to figure this out?

The system creates a vacuum as it cools and the cap vents itself due to the cooling and vacuum effect, in order to neutralize pressure.

This is why your cap comes off and there's no vacuum holding it on

This is how it sucks the coolant back in, through the vacuum created.

Go look at your car, same thing

If you are afraid of airflow issues, the tank could always mounted under the rear fender opposite of the exhaust like on WR's. Never had any issues with my stock reserve tank. The turkey baster is pretty sweet though, and I like the attention to detail with the orange zip-tyes

The system creates a vacuum as it cools and the cap vents itself due to the cooling and vacuum effect, in order to neutralize pressure.

This is why your cap comes off and there's no vacuum holding it on

This is how it sucks the coolant back in, through the vacuum created.

Go look at your car, same thing

That much I already knew!

But can you explain how it does it? The cap has a pressure spring that allows pressure out. How does it allow pressure back in?

EDIT:

That's o.k. I took my cap off and figured it out. I should have looked at it when I installed the CRT.

Wow thanks guys I'm defiantly using your ideas!! Thanks a lot!!

-The brave may not live forever,but the cautious never live at all.-