Sign in to follow this  

Painting hubs?

Maybe I should just get them powdercoated? Should only be around $50 or less im sure if I prep it?

Wow lumpy thats weird I was just on the motohose website, as I am getting the rad tubing kit haha

I've tried it a few times, different method each time. Never had any luck. If you live where the roost is rocky then they will get chipped. If you don't have any rocks near you then they might hold up alright.

A kid I know wanted purple rims so he painted them but was constantly having to touching them up. Pressure washing would blow the paint off. I dont know if he did any prep work on the rims.

Powdercoating is the right way,where i live the roost,rocks and tire irons take it right off(i used to be a brown mexican now i am turning white from getting sand blasted with roost)!I have tryed numerous paint and i have found simple magic marker touches up rims better and the hubs are just there to catch all the grease and chainlube:smirk:btw i own a white yami with semi black rims

I wouldn't paint them, and if you blow a brake line all the paint will be gone. I had that happen once on a quad with a painted swinger.

My cousin painted his hubs on his CRF. Now they're a mix of red and stock aluminum hub. Powdercoat is the way to go for sure.

Can of Krylon primer $5....can of Krylon gloss black $5

001-1.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

010.jpg

:moon::worthy::cheers::worthy:

Nicest bike on the whole forum, saw it in the yammy pic thread.

If I ever go to the yz300 this is the look that would suit it :smirk:

I've painted and PC'd hubs in the past. I wouldn't paint again. I prepped the best that I could and it's still chipping. Black powdercoating is fairly inexpensive.

Powdercoat is the way to go on hubs for sure (or anodize for billet hubs). Do you really want to disassemble your wheels every time you have to re-paint them? Shouldn't cost anymore then $40 for both hubs prepped and coated in a single stage colour (solid black, white, red, blue, etc.) But for a metallic or candy colour expect to pay a bit more, maybe $55-$65 for both. That's what I'd charge anyway...

Have had good sucess with wash primer,then urathaneand a couple coats of clear.They have held up well rocks,mud minimal chipping easy clean up.

I think I am gonna remove all the casting marks, and polish them up for easier cleaning in the future.

ive painted hubs before with no problems you have to use a self etching primer the only time i had any issues is when i ripped 6 spokes out of the rear wheel the others wallered the holes out on the hub an looked bad but the hub was junk anyways it was cracked but for a few bucks more an no labor just drop them off to get powder coated

I would paint them with a basecoat clearcoat method. It will make the sandcast look go away, and the only real evidence that they are stock is that ridge in the hub itself.

On the subject of painting... Had anyone seen that anodizing in a can from Wal Mart? It comes in a spray can like a normal can of spray paint. You are supposed to use a special primer, also sold at Wally World, then spray with the anodizing. I havent used it but it looks good, on the paint can cap anyway. I am sure nothing is as good as the real thing just wondering if anyone had been brave and tried it.

On the subject of painting... Had anyone seen that anodizing in a can from Wal Mart? It comes in a spray can like a normal can of spray paint. You are supposed to use a special primer, also sold at Wally World, then spray with the anodizing. I havent used it but it looks good, on the paint can cap anyway. I am sure nothing is as good as the real thing just wondering if anyone had been brave and tried it.

It's not anodizing, it is just paint that has a translucent look to it, giving an anodized appearance. If the object you are painting is already shiny, you don't need anything under it. If you are painting a dull object then they sell a base coat that is kinda glittery to spray on first to get the look you want then you are done. That stuff looks alright when done right, but it doesn't hold up too well. That is best used on parts of cars and pieces that don't see any wear.