Sign in to follow this  

Does a 1978 Suzuki SP370 have an oil filter?

Hummmm, it must be covered by the skidplate. I'll have to look harder. Thanks.

Three bolts and a central drain bolt. It is washable. Make sure you have the seating spring between the filter and cover. Don't buy the ones being sold from an ebay filter source. There must be a number glitch as they aren't the correct part

Okay, I found the filter, but this is getting confusing. What I was told is the bike is a 1978 Suzuki SP370 with a 1980 SP400 top end. But the engine serial number is DR400-1016XX. Now I have no idea what oil filter to buy. It needs a new filter because the old washable one is starting to come apart. Is there a web site that will tell me what year engne this is so I can buy a new filter?

Sounds like you have a DR400, so I would get a filter for a DR400...Either way, they are all pretty good bikes...

If you found the filter, keep washing it out till no more metal flakes appear in the rattled jam jar [keep changing the petrol /white spirits whatever] then use it again if the inner membrane is intact.

Alternatively go and buy a SP/DR370/GN/SP/DR400 filter. I think you'll find they are all the same part number. I've looked at Ebay.com and the filter illustrated is not correct, any more than the UK one was.

If you haven't got any points you have a DR 400 engine

What carb is on it?

http://www.dakardantan.com/forum/suzuki-dr-400-n19-norbert-d-aboville-vt942.html

This guy got 12th overall and first place in the no back up [Marathon] catagory. That was the year when both Yamaha and Honda were breaking engines and bikes trying to stay with BMW. He did it on a bog standard road going bike. He didn't even have leading axle forks.

Bringing this topic back from the cave age of carburetors...

Decided to revived the DR400 that has been dormant for 9 years -parked TDC with fresh oil- cleaned the oil filter, and was wondering is anyone had found a good substitute?

Opening (also called inside diameter) inside suction O-ring is 20mm, 19mm would do fine, it is 60mm tall -59mm or even 58mm would do, and 50 mm across, 49 or probably 48 mm would work as well- In fact any size a bit smaller as long as the O-ring diameter is specs should work.

Edited by Michel