Sign in to follow this  

Wheel bearings you used to use

Most of you have moved on but I still like the 650. Since I want to know from real (or ex) 650 pilots, what experience do you have with OE wheel bearings vs. Pivot Works or other aftermarket bearings? A pivot works kit for one wheel including bearings and seals is less than $20. A good price for the same OE is over $30. I am typically strictly an OE user but are any of these any good?

Most of you have moved on but I still like the 650. Since I want to know from real (or ex) 650 pilots, what experience do you have with OE wheel bearings vs. Pivot Works or other aftermarket bearings? A pivot works kit for one wheel including bearings and seals is less than $20. A good price for the same OE is over $30. I am typically strictly an OE user but are any of these any good?

The Pivot Works Kits are Chinese--that's why they are cheap.

Just go down to your local bearing house with the correct numbers and buy good American, Japanese or German bearings for a fraction of OEM cost.

You also need to replace the seals at the same time! Cant find them at my local bearing house.

That's what's nice about the bearing kits from cbr bearing, he uses good bearings packed with good grease and includes the seals in the kit.

Peter

Just go down to your local bearing house with the correct numbers and buy good American, Japanese or German bearings for a fraction of OEM cost.

I've been doing this for years, it's the way to go.

The Pivot Works Kits are Chinese--that's why they are cheap.

This is the BEST advice you will get!! Save the Chinese stuff for anything you don't need to depend on!

Also be sure to get double sealed beatings. Factory bearings are high quality, but they are only sealed on one side.

Also be sure to get double sealed beatings. Factory bearings are high quality, but they are only sealed on one side.

Good point. I also use double sealed bearings. I remove the seals, clean out the factory grease, repack with waterproof moly grease then replace the seals.

First thing is Honda does not make bearings. They do spec high quality units though. It's hard to find "first world" bearings these days. For example most of the Timken boxes I been using lately say "made in Turkey." I've got bearings of Japanese manufacture in my XR now.

I've used Chinese bearings and they have worked well for me. Unless you like ride in water a lot, bearings usually last a long time here in SoCal. The "name brand" are only a few $$$ more and I've been getting them from my local bearing shop. It's just down the street from where I work so it's convenient. It's on Ave Stanford between Rye and Scott. Depending on the application the seals might have to come from Honda. Another good place for bearings is NAPA autoparts.

Edited by cleonard

That's what's nice about the bearing kits from cbr bearing, he uses good bearings packed with good grease and includes the seals in the kit.

Peter

I'll call CBR this morning. What about All Balls? http://www.goallballs.com/why_allballs.asp Anybody know anything about them? I don't have the old parts out for referencing locally so it needs to be right the first time when my wheels go to get rebuilt. Maybe just stick with the OE Honda stuff since I too have had zero problems in way too many miles?

First thing is Honda does not make bearings. They do spec high quality units though.

To further support this, the bearings that came out of my 600 were either originals or old dealer replacements and they were NTNs made in Japan. I replaced them with some from McMaster-Carr and anyone who knows them knows that you get whatever they have. They sent some INAs made in Taiwan. I hadn't heard of them before, but they appear to be up there with NSK, NTN, and Timken.

The Pivot Works Kits are Chinese....

DAMN! I just ordered some Pivot Works bearings. :moon: I didn't know they were made in China. I hope I can return them....

I knew All Balls are made in China so that's why I didn't order that brand.

One of Ford Motor Company’s (the only US auto maker that did not need bailout money) major bearing supplier is from China! Who cares! Ford doesn’t! Wheel bearings fail from foreign material finding its way into the bearing i.e. DIRT. The issue is the seal and NOT the bearing! People brag about how long there OE wheel bearing lasted because their sealing mechanism (rubber seal and collar) was new. The wheel collar which is made of aluminum has been completely grooved out by the seal (and dirt) yet doesn’t get replaced. Water and dirt quickly find there way in and it is over for the bearing!

Then there is the issue of whether the parts were installed correctly! Most people don’t grease the seal lip (or understand why) or replace the collar or seat the bearing completely up against the hub or check the spacer length or on and on and on. Then when thier bearings wears out prematurely they blame the bearing!

If the collars are good and the seal is working properly and the bearing is installed correctly there is nothing to worry about. :moon:

One of Ford Motor Company’s (the only US auto maker that did not need bailout money) major bearing supplier is from China! Who cares! Ford doesn’t!

I think the point being made is that Chinese no-name bearings are a crap shoot. Major bearing manufacturers have a lot riding on the quality of product from their suppliers, so they are going to be more likely to make sure their Chinese subcontractors aren't cheating on the metallurgy or anything else.

On a side note, Ford South America's biggest bearing supplier is, coincidentally, INA.

The point I am trying to make is that motorcycle suspension bearings are a low load and low speed application. We are not talking about crankshaft bearings here! Wheel bearings (or suspension) where the sealing mechanism failed and allowed dirt and water penetration will destroy the bearing. German, American, Japanese, Chinese or Tasmanian bearings will not survive dirt and water or improper installation.

slightly off topic but does anyone know the origin of "Moose" wheel bearings? I just ordered some and after reading this thread now I'm curious

One of Ford Motor Company’s (the only US auto maker that did not need bailout money) major bearing supplier is from China! Who cares! Ford doesn’t! Wheel bearings fail from foreign material finding its way into the bearing i.e. DIRT. The issue is the seal and NOT the bearing! People brag about how long there OE wheel bearing lasted because their sealing mechanism (rubber seal and collar) was new. The wheel collar which is made of aluminum has been completely grooved out by the seal (and dirt) yet doesn’t get replaced. Water and dirt quickly find there way in and it is over for the bearing!

If the collars are good and the seal is working properly and the bearing is installed correctly there is nothing to worry about. :cheers:

Excellent points.

Thanks!

+1 :moon: