Sign in to follow this  

So whats it like 450 to a 300 2stroke??

For years I been telling myself i want a 2stroke for nothing more than grin factor. As most of us i grew up riding 2strokes raced CR 500's for about ten years before going thumper.. I had a 05 yz 250 when they came out with the aluminum frame but was so used to thumpers I just did not want to adjust (then)

I have 2010 ktm 450sxf and love it not one single bad thing i can say about it but I been having that bug wanting a 2stroke. Ive read some stuff when i searched this place but not alot of updated content. For those that have ridden 450's then went to the 300 XC whats your thoughts? Or if you have both even better. I ride track pretty much only but I think if I got a 300 xc id venture into doing some off road stuff. I read that the 300 has low end torque does it have a hard hitting power band? I find that the hardest to adapt to is when the 2stroke gets on the pipe they feel twitchy to me to jump but with some time and patience that would become a non issue im sure. Just curious to hear from the guys that made that switch or own both a 450 and a 300xc..

thanks for any input.

If you look on KTMtalk, there are a lot of posts about guys switching and/or going both ways. Before the snickers start--I mean thumper to smoker and vice-versa.

If you look on KTMtalk, there are a lot of posts about guys switching and/or going both ways. Before the snickers start--I mean thumper to smoker and vice-versa.

I noticed the same thing. About as many switching from 450 to 300 as there are from the 300 to the 450. In my DS club the ones that went from the 300 to the 450 stated vibration being the primary reason. I only feel the vibration in the pegs when I'm standing and higher in the powerband.

Cant say notice the vibration on my 09 300 and I've just got done riding it for the 2nd time. The one thing I do notice is that the bike feels very un-planted from the ground vs the 450's. I feel like I'm skipping across the ground and the bike seems to deflect a little easier. I do think a lot of that is just a matter of getting used to it.

As for the power, well the 300 has more than enough in fact it's the first 2t that I've owned that I felt could get away from me. The 300 is waaaay more linear than your standard 2t, you do need to be in the pipe to get power but it comes on faster and smoother than any other 2t out there. Honestly whiskey throttle on this bike could bite you hard, it dang near got me a few times yesterday. I suppose this bike would work on a track pretty well but I don't track ride so I would not be able to respond.

I grew up on 2 smokers, (many years of 2 smokers prior to the new 01 Kawasaki) went from a Kawasaki 2 smoker to a WR426, then went to a WR450F, now have a KTM 300 XC-W. Has good low end power close to the big 4 stroke, smooth and linear as mentioned, and way lighter. As the end of a long day, way less fatigue.

Went from a WR450F, which was coming off a WR426F, now have a KTM 300 XC-W. Has good low end power close to the big 4 stroke, smooth and linear as mentioned, and way lighter. As the end of a long day, way less fatigue.

That's the first thing I noticed. Super lightweight, much lighter feeling than the stats say. With my XR650L, after a nice 100+ mile DS romp, I would feel like I just wrestled a bear and my knees hurt, even with some knee braces.

Now, with the 300, I feel like going another 100 miles and my knees no lnger hurt and I take that 300 through stuff much faster than the XR. It really does feel like a mountain bike......w/ rocket attached.

On the 2 stroke you will need to run lower tire pressures to hookup well and to keep the engine vibration from killing your spine if you sit down. I run 8-10 PSI on my rear to keep it from vibrating me to death.

The 450 will hit hard off the bottom an pull steady up through the rpm, the 300 will pull gently from the bottom then go balls out hard core all the way till it can't rev faster.

There very different beast but can both be ridden the same way, if any thing the 300 will rev lower and make useable power sooner than the 450.

I've gone from a CRF450R and WR 450 to a 07 300 and now a 09 300XCW. Still have a 450 EXC and early in the year I added a 08 250 XCF which I had opened up to a 320.

For sure it depends on your riding terrain. Wide open places and desert a 450 may be the ticket. In single track, tight woods and slop I really like the 300.

As mentioned above, 2-stks are not as planted as 4-sts.

This is due to a 4-st having a power pulse every other stroke and a 2-st having one every stroke. The 2-st can easily spin up and loose traction.

That said I love and race my 2-sts more than my 4's. Much lighter, less off idle torque equals less fatigue in a 2 or 3 hr race.

as a second bike or a swap?

Second bike..For track use and maybe some trail riding..Ive trail ridden maybe 5-7 times in my life but I had fun while doing it. I just have a 2stroke itch wanna rail some sand berms on one and a 250 2stroke I just cant ride them anymore.. I know what the poster above says when he says they feel like there deflecting off everything, a thumper is like stuck to the ground and you get used to that planted feel . I dunno maybe a 300 xc calling tomorrow a shop has a 2010 300xc I can get for a good price..But on the other hand for "fun" factor the 350sxf is going to be SICk.:moon:

I think that most of the riders here that have made the switch are good veteran off road riders. Their opinions are accurate. I have made the switch strictly for MX. I am a B level vet rider with a lot of good top level MX tracks that I have access to. MXing these 300's are very exciting compared to my 450 experiences. I have adjusted to the differences in approaching jumps and starts. When I let a 4 stroke rider ride it, they typically struggle. The bike is smooth but extremely strong too. When you ride it the way it was meant, kind of like a four stroke, and then hit the clutch when you need boost (mostley a gear high) the benefits begin to show. Which ever bike causes you to have the most fun, will also cause you to ride/race the fastest. For me it is the 300.

Edited by fish10

....if you switch back and forth it is difficult.....you have to be way more precise and accurate on a 2-st, they bounce and deflect and they dont stop as fast due to lack of traction and engine braking...as the track gets drier and rougher the more difficult they are to go fast on......the 300 is not gonna be a whole lot different than a 250 and it takes a while to get used to....i did the switch a year and a half ago to a 250 sx, while it was fun and they corner well it took about a month to get used to and wished i would have gave it a little more time but i was getiting my ass handed to me at races and i got to see just how good 4st are...during that time i got to ride a 06 rm250 for the first time and oh god what a fun bike! best 2-st i have ever ridden..also those ktm's vibrate like a mutha

I went from a 525 to a 300 and the power felt pretty similar, although the 300 revs quicker, you can feel every "bang" through the whole chassis at low revs and there's no engine braking. Took me about 150kms to get used to that.

I think it's a whole lot more fun to ride. I'm converted for now.

I had a 08 ktm 450, loved the bike for more open riding but just couldnt keep the power under control in the really tight stuff. I ended up selling the 450 and bought a new 300xcw. I wanted one bike that could do it all and the xcw came close. Now that I got my 300, im considering buying another 450. When I ride with my friends, the mostly ride gravel pits, tracks and some wide open trails, by myself or for racing off road, I hunt out the really nasty tight stuff and prefer my 300. Seems to be a better bike for that kind of riding. A 450 to ride with my friends and the 300xcw for racing and tight trails. If you can only have one bike then I would go with the 300xc. basiclly the same bike as the xcw but has a little stiffer suspension and a closed ratio transmission. I did notice that the 300 does feel a little looser in the front end, that being because 2 strokes are a rear wheeled steering bike. I run a GPR steering damper and seem to have great results on the 300 but hated the damper on the 450.

I have a 2009 xcw300, my bro has a 2006 wr450. We rode some tight woods trails yesterday and swapped bikes back and forth. I didn't want to tell him but I couldn't wait to get back to my KTM when I was on his 450. Nimble and quick vs slow and heavy. The KTM is much more fun to ride. The only thing I like more about the 450 is the compression braking on downhills. I can go faster on the KTM, have to work a little harder to do so but don't get as tired as I would on the 4 stoker if that makes any sense.

much of the deflection and some of the floatiness can be tuned out with a revalve. But yes, the 2 stroke does feel more floaty than the 4 stroke. But, I prefer that now. With all my 4t's it felt like I had to plow thru everything, now I float over a lot of stuff.

450 sfx is motocross. the 300 xc and xc-w are offroad. the 300's have an electric feel to them. the sx is close ratio trans, the xc is semi-close trans and xc-w is wide ratio.

i have ridden a 450 offroad bike(450X honda) and it was heavy and load.

just saying if you want only a track bike you can take a 300 xc, add a tooth to the rear sprocket, and boost it alittle with pipes, etc to get apples to apples. i ride my xc-w on a track sometimes and its ok since i am slow and only do some doubles. its super quiet and sounds like and electric bike compared to thumpers. i race in desert and it works great there especially in tight sections

Norcal Hoss: here is my advice, as I have done what you are talking about...get both! seriously if you can afford it this is the best option. I ride my 4 st for a few weeks and think " wow this is so fun". Then I ride my 2 st and think " whoo this is a blast". One puts a bigger smile on your face after riding the other. If you are looking for mx applications I would go with 250 sx. It revs alot faster and has more hit.