Sign in to follow this  

New DR600 Dude

I know, I know, it should say 650 but I pulled the trigger on this post too quickly.

Well anyhoo I just dumped my DRZ400 with 4500 miles and picked up a new 09 DR650. I think I'll be much happier with this bike since now both feet are flat on the ground at stop lights. A bit anemic compared to my uncorked DRZ but it’s still all stock. Hopefully it will come alive when I start screwing with the fuel and air mix. Any recommendations? I don't want to lose the stock pipe (quiet is good) but would like instant throttle response like the DRZ400 has with the FCR.

Depends on what you want to spend. Many replace the airfilter and open up the air box. Also search the forum for a couple of threads by mx-rob one talks quite about about jetting and needle replacement. The other is describes replacing the stock carb with a Keihin 39mm (Keihin 39mm FCR-MX Install, DR650). Another option is a TM40 replacement offered by Pro-Cylce.

The most performance improvement seem to come with the carb replacements but also at the most cost.

Also, a lot of people would suggest a seat replacement, suspension work, and maybe a fuel tank replacement as higher priorities.

Your gonna love that DR650 just for the torque.

I changed the pinewood derby seat for one made for my widebut by Rocky's Seats and Sadlebags (rjhardbags.com). Now I can ride for hours without my back hurting.

I dont know what kind of riding you like but tires are a big factor.

After a traction related crash in the desert, I dumped the stock deathwing tires for the Dunlop D606 knobbies. The are SO much better off road and have a good grip on pavement although I havent got the lean down quite as far in the turns yet (alergic to road rash).

Future projects include bigger tank and carb/airbox work. Gonna keep the stock exhaust just for the noise factor. (Hey, i'm 60 and way past the blastfactor).

Got a TM40 carb coming from Jeff at Procycle. Working a gel seat on an auction, hopefully I'll land that. I've put over 330 miles on this bike this week and I like how it handles the Hwy much better that my DRZ. I had D606s for my DRZ, but I do too much pavement riding for those tires. This is my rainy day or fire road bike. I have my FZ1 for nice day riding and my plated CRF230F for anything needing dirt bike handling. So far, this is about the most practical all around usful bike I've ever owned. I've cracked the throttle hard a few times but the front end won't seem to come up by just power. Let's see if the new carb with just the snorkel removed and a high flow air filter will make that happed....Great Bike!