Sign in to follow this  

DRZ250 / Djebel electrical simplification help

I have a Suzuki Djebel which is a dual sport DRZ250 with a big 17liter tank and huge headlight. Im rebuilding it and want to simplify the electrics to be more of a simple dirt bike setup (no battery,starter, blinkers, etc.)

there's a wiring harness that comes from the stator and plugs right into the CDI (simple) and another plug comes out of the cdi with 5 wires. I traced these wires around the kilometer or so of wire that become blinkers switches and various other thing. What I do know is :

white and blue- wire goes to the coil

orange and white- goes to kill switch

black and white- seemed to go everywhere(including the coil)

pink just terminated

green wire=dont know

If I want kick start only do I need a rectifier? can I just use a universal 12V regulator.

The reg/rect on the bike is some home made job housed in PVC and needed replacement anyways. The stator needs a rewiring anyways also.

If I only need a regulator where does it fit into the system?

Its probably obvious to some of you that I dont have much of a clue about electrical systems so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a Lot, Nick in Phnom Penh

I haven't looked thuroughly into if its the same, but in Australia our DRZ's have full dual sport wiring too.

I can tell you from experience that when my electric starter died and I was using Kickstart only I looked at removing the starter switch from the handle bar and using the key only for Kill switch. Well that doesn't work, there was no power for the spark when this switch was disconnected, so I put it back on.

Also every bike I have owned in the past has had a black/white wire for the kill switch system, so most things with this colour wire will be for kill switch.

I don't understand how the CDI would know if the starter switch was connected or not.If you removed the switch and kept the circuit open, wouldn't that be just like not pressing the starter switch? pushing the switch just closes a circuit, am I right?

Thanks for the black/white kill switch info. I would bet money that the DRZ and Djebel wiring is identical. The only difference in the two bikes that I can see are the tanks headlights and I think the DRZ's have inverted front shocks.

Thanks for the info. I hope I can cut some of the fat of this very beefy bike.

Yes I thought that the Kills witch worked by closing the circuit to kill the engine, so was a little surprised. Then again I was Kcick starting maybe I didnt put enough effort in hahaha

We get some import Djebels into Oz they look like a pretty cool package. I haven't seen any later model ones, just the 90's models which were based on the DR250. would be interesting to see a DRZ based Djebel. Also the DRZ still runs conventional forks, So tank and lights must be the only difference.

Do you know of a link to Djebel specs that is in english with pictures? would be good to see.