Sign in to follow this  

When did piston prices climb?

June 2008 I bought a Wiseco piston kit for my bike for $129.99. Fast foward to today, and from the same site it's now $169.99! I checked the ThumperTalk store, their price is $6 better, but that's still a far cry from what it cost last summer. When did prices soar, and why?!

Of course, that said, the ProX piston for this bike dropped from the $125.70 I paid in October 2007 to $120.06 today.

Just something I found shocking when looking to order today. In case you are scratching your head and ready to tell me where to find $90 YZ pistons, I run a KTM 250SX piston due to engine mods.

Raw material, transportation costs and lead time have driven prices up on most goods...seems that only food remains relatively stable...why can I still get $1 menu...I remember that 20yrs ago?

Raw material, transportation costs and lead time have driven prices up on most goods...seems that only food remains relatively stable...why can I still get $1 menu...I remember that 20yrs ago?

agreed, now we just need grain prices to rise.

I've been having good luck buying pistons on ebay lately. I've gotten three new OEM RM pistons for less than $30 each. Dealer is about $100.

I just ordered a wiseco top end kit with gaskets for $140 from www.motoxoutlet.com

They don't have them for KTM's, and an all inclusive piston/gasket kit doesn't work for me anyway (I need a KTM piston and Yamaha gaskets).

I understand commodities and such have climbed. Just seems strange to me there's a 31% jump in price in 18 months on one piston, and a 4.7% drop in price over 26 months on the other.

I guess this post is more of a vent than anything. I remember back in the day when.....:moon:

Take out your aggression on making excel charts to express the percent change in piston prices over the months lol. Ebay is always a good place to find something cheap although lately alot of people are just selling retain there too.

As the value of the dollar goes down, the prices of goods and services go up.

also im pretty sure aluminum isn't getting any cheaper

Has the cost of aluminum sprockets gone up at the same rate? I don't remember what they cost in the past. But I don't think so!