Sign in to follow this  

got it runnin tonight !

Well I've finally gotten all the parts and the time needed to get the 04 450 together and fired up. New head, valves, etc. new piston, timing chain and gear, new shock and linkage bearings, hotstart cable, handlebars and grips. I did a complete teardown and clean up of everything, including the carb. Guess what? I put the stinkin vacuum release plate in upside down! It's times like that I really appreciate this website and all the people that take the time to share thier knowledge and experience. I did a search and was able to fix the problem in no time, no more backfire! Hopefully I will be able to take it out and break it in soon. Now all I need to find is some graphics I like!

good luck with your rebuild not many men can do it successfully.keep oil changed be sure to inspect oil.

On your first couple oil changes, cut the metal ends off the oil filter and unravel the element to inspect for the debris. There will be some in there, but you just want to see it diminish.

The first 4 or 5 I took out of my brand new bike scared the crap out of me...until the crap became zero.

Also, you may want to JB weld a neodymium magnet inside the case to gather stuff too. Right below the site glass is a good place. Oil travels across and the magnet will suck the nasty's out of the oil.

I've always had to rebuild everything I've owned immediately after buying it ( I've never been able to turn down a cheap basket case) so I'm only really worried about the crank now, but it felt really good and side clearance was ok so I didn't split the case. I put in a stainless filter hoping I could rinse out and see any debris. Thanks for the magnet idea, I have an old teloscoping magnet tool I could rip the magnet out of.

Go to the junk yard most auto trans. have really strong magnets in pan. Nissans have 2 mags.