2000 drz400s

I have an opportunity to buy this bike with 5k miles. I am looking to confirm if the S version has the 39mm carb as standard equipment on this particular year. Just trying to limit the amount of additional money I will spend for mod's.

I gots a 2000 drz 400 S with an 39mm carb on it... just did the install less than a month ago. Sorry mate, but all S's have a tiny carb. And if you are looking in California, then only E models that are pre-2004 will have the FCR carb. Every other model has the small carb.

Stephen

MJT77- I would suggest researching the suspension for the S model in this year as well. If I remember correctly, it was different in the earlier years.

Never heard of anyone having problems with elevation changes on the FCR. I ran from sea level to well over 8000' with a properly jetted slant model, and was a very strong performer. If it had problems, it would not be such a popular upgrade.

The suspension of the early S models was not adjustable......you can just do a fork and shock swap and are good to go. The others are correct, you will find that it has (unless it has been changed already) a Mikuni BSR carb. It is not the kiss of death, however. Properly jetted, it will perform quite well.

It will depend on the condition of the bike, the price, and the maintenance that it has had over the years. I have a 2000 E model that I will stack up against anyone's newer bike for condition, performance and reliability!

After my '03 DRZ got totalled (by a buddy, long story) I ended up with a '00 DRZ. Has the smaller carb that all other S models get, but JD jetted and Yosh piped it runs great and takes ungoldy abuse, same as any other DRZ of any other year. I upgraded my front and rear suspension with the units from my 03, but that's WAY CHEAP to do later (and the 00 boingers will get you by just fine anyway, tho the later adjustable stuff is nicer).