Sign in to follow this  

XR200R Carb issues

It seems rich. Bogging really bad at low rpm and black smoke when it does rev up. The low rpm bog is much less with the choke in the middle position. Neddle clip in the 3rd (middle possition), air screw 1&1/8th. Float level

~ 13mm

Mods: 115 MJ, 38PJ, No airbox snorkle, no muffler baffle, no backfire screen. The jets have been cleaned (as well as the whole carb).

The first thing that stands out a bit to me is that you have a 115 main jet. I believe factory is either 112 or 110. This could be the cause of your high rpm black smoke. I would think that a 112 would be more than enough to cover the mods that you have listed.

Next, from what you have described, a low rpm bog that is somewhat cured by putting the choke on half way might indicate a lack of fuel which could be fixed by turning your mixture screw out a bit and making the mix richer. A 38 pilot jet is factory so if you turn it out more than about 1 turn from 1 1/8 and are still experiencing the same problem then you may need to move up to a 40 pilot jet.

I have a 2001 XR200R with a 110 MJ and 38 PJ with no air box and a uni pod filter in place of it and the muffler uncorked, which are basically the same mods that you listed, and it runs very well with these jets so I'm guessing you just need a little fine tuning on your carb.

Here is a link that you may find interesting.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/19584811/Honda-XR200-XR200R-Carb-Jetting

Hope this helps.:moon:

The first thing that stands out a bit to me is that you have a 115 main jet. I believe factory is either 112 or 110. This could be the cause of your high rpm black smoke. I would think that a 112 would be more than enough to cover the mods that you have listed.

Next, from what you have described, a low rpm bog that is somewhat cured by putting the choke on half way might indicate a lack of fuel which could be fixed by turning your mixture screw out a bit and making the mix richer. A 38 pilot jet is factory so if you turn it out more than about 1 turn from 1 1/8 and are still experiencing the same problem then you may need to move up to a 40 pilot jet.

I have a 2001 XR200R with a 110 MJ and 38 PJ with no air box and a uni pod filter in place of it and the muffler uncorked, which are basically the same mods that you listed, and it runs very well with these jets so I'm guessing you just need a little fine tuning on your carb.

Here is a link that you may find interesting.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/19584811/Honda-XR200-XR200R-Carb-Jetting

Hope this helps.:moon:

I had a 40 PJ which is what I thought was causing this problem and went back to the 38 PJ but no change was seen. I will look into the links that both of you have sent. Thanks for the links.