New 250's have 40 tooth rear gear...Thoughts?

Hi

I was test riding a new husky te250 today and noticed that the new txc's and te's have a 40 tooth rear gear, while last years bikes, even the 310's have a 50 tooth gear.

So I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on why the smaller rear gear?

It kind of seems to me that either husky dropped the number of teeth to keep the rpms down to help maybe pass emissions, wanted to lower the rpm's for street use to increase range, or the gear box gear ratio's has changed some from last year that would make up for the smaller gear.

Any one with a new 2010 250 are you finding you might want to go back up some on the rear gear ratio's for dirt riding and hill climbing? The deal speculated that maybe a 45 or 46 tooth rear gear would help for dirt riding.

Thanks for any input.

did the power up kit come in the crate with the bike, or are you getting charged for it?

I just heard back from the dealer and he now tells me the power up kit does come with a longer chain and sprocket so I'm guessing your probably right about the emmission thing. Thanks for the incite, it saves me $ on a buying a new sprocket.

DW

I picked up my new te250 tonight and the power up kit was included. The power up kit came with the lamdba sensor plug and jumper, a 50 tooth rear gear to replace the 40 tooth stock gear and a new longer chain and clip. A new air filter basket. It has some pipe that I'm still not sure what it is for but it looks like it belongs in the muffler some place. The only weird thing is the bike did not come with the hand guards like the 2010 450 and 510's but the deal is checking on that.

wow...What is the front sprocket size on a bike a 40t rear sprocket? What is the performance of the bike set up like this? I would think the bike would top out at about 100MPH and only pull in the lowest gears on the bike...Is it even ridable off the street?

It is just that with a change this huge on the rear sprocket, I'd be interested in knowing how the bike performed under any conditions...I'm in the Philippines and will be doing alot of street riding with some dirt stuff mixed in....I have never heard of gearing a bike this tall and would be interested in how the bike performs with this type gearing...

I have not received my bike yet and the only change I have made was back in the states and this was just adding 1T to the front sprocket and I'm thinking I might need more top end speed and I had never even dreamed of dropping the rear sprocket with a change this radical...

So Randy, you think that the bike came with the catalytic converter not installed and the part they gave me is the catalytic converter? That seems odd they would have left it out though.

Also, if I'm reading your post correct, you think the bike is lean from the get go and by putting on the power up stuff and removing the plug from the sensor will make the bike richer? I was a little hesitant to do that right away because both the dealer and others say it will kill the warrentee and I should make sure the bike is ok prior to doing the p.u. stuff.

You have a2010 txc, have you had to re tune the mapping any yet?

I read, and it makes sense that the bikes come lean especially the TE. I have a 2008 TE250 that was very lean with the O2 sensor in. If you're worried about making the changes, do a little experiment. Go ahead and install the power up kit and take it for a short ride. Once you see how much better it runs you'll know it has to be better for the bike. If you're still not sure you can always put it back to the way it was. When I was doing the break in for my TE I left it all stock except I removed the smog stuff. I was so disappointed in the power I thought I had made a dreadful mistake. With my new TXC, I went straight to the power up. Just try the power up. You won't go back, warranty be damned.