XR 100 Choke Question

Can someone clarify the choke settings for me? Up is full choke, middle partial and down is off.

I typically start the bike cold in the middle position. I noticed that if I warm the bike up and move to full choke, the bike will sputter out. Shouldn't the bike continue to run, albeit with at a higher reve?

This became an issue since I am selling the bike and the buyer questioned that the bike sputtered out and died when moving from partia to full choke. Not an issue to me, but we can all certainly appreciate the cautious and meticulous approach of buying a bike.

Can someone clarify the type of behavior that should be expected when the choke moves from middle to full choke after the bike is warmed up?

Depending on your geographical location, you may never even touch the choke ever. I don't. And the choke will kill it. If you live in northern Califiornia where it gets colder than here, you might have use it a bit more, but the choke is only for starting the motor and getting it warmed up, so why would you touch it after it's warm . . . couple minutes. maybe people will chime in who live in colder climates and may have to use it more.

Edited by socalxr

Socal is correct, typically you only kick over once or twice with full choke on a cold or balky motor, then switch to half choke and it should fire right up. Our small honda's chokes won't raise the idle speed when applied, and will not idle with full choke.

My XR200 cold starting drill: Raise idle speed by turning in idle-speed screw 1/2 turn, 1-2 kicks full choke then set to half-choke,full kick and motor starts right up and fast idles, after a minute or two choke off, and lower idle screw back to normal as motor warms up. My XR100 likes this same technique also.

Hope this helps.

exactly. think of full choke as in, it is fully choking off the air to get it started. that's why it sputters when you go full choke; it runs it too rich and drowns it. But I don't think that's what your asking. What I think you're asking is whether or not it should continue to run warm regardless of choke position. The answer depends entirely on your jetting, altitude, temperature, and the condition of your air filter. The fact that full choke kills it is no big deal, but it may mean that you could jet it better than what it is.