Sign in to follow this  

09 engine noise

My engine has started making a weird noise when slowing down. I have only herd 4 times as its very intermitant.First time it had done 11 hours. it done it again today at around 16 hours.It sounds almost like a dry bearing when you spin one up with compressed air. The same sort of noise. It only lasts for a couple of seconds but is quiet noticeable. Has me worried

Any ideas?

One of those things you may have to sort out yourself. The shop would charge you to take a look at it and may not find the cause. I had an 08 wr450 with a cdi problem that would only play up for me, it just shut off when it got hot. Took it to the shop four times! Eventually i replaced the stock cdi with a vortex and it never missed a beat. Sorry i cant give any useful info to help you out, just as example of weired things happening.

My engine has started making a weird noise when slowing down. I have only herd 4 times as its very intermitant.First time it had done 11 hours. it done it again today at around 16 hours.It sounds almost like a dry bearing when you spin one up with compressed air. The same sort of noise. It only lasts for a couple of seconds but is quiet noticeable. Has me worried

Any ideas?

Make sure you have oil pressure and check your oil and filter to make sure there are no metal flakes in it.

No metal in either filter. I have rang the shop i got it from and they will stand by it if anything happens. Its way to intermitant at the moment to try woprk out what it is. By the time you realise its doing it and put your head down to listen its gone.

Strange indeed. Ill just keep using it and see what happens

I have noticed a similar noise from time to time on my '09 KX450. At this point I do not think it is anything but I am paying very close attention to it. The noise reminds me of a bad main bearing in a 2 stroke Jet ski engine. We used to rev them up and hit the kill switch, after the motor stopped turning you would still hear a noise inside except it would last for about 10 seconds after the crank stopped turning. It was from the bearing cage that disintegrated and the balls where still running round and round the race. I do not think it is the same issue with this bike but like I said, I am paying very close attention to it. I have 18 hours on mine and noticed it for the past 6 but so far no issues. I also wonder if it may have something to do with the fuel pump still bleeding off power from the capacitor and therefore running after the motor stopped. Just a guess though.

I have noticed a similar noise from time to time on my '09 KX450. At this point I do not think it is anything but I am paying very close attention to it. The noise reminds me of a bad main bearing in a 2 stroke Jet ski engine. We used to rev them up and hit the kill switch, after the motor stopped turning you would still hear a noise inside except it would last for about 10 seconds after the crank stopped turning. It was from the bearing cage that disintegrated and the balls where still running round and round the race. I do not think it is the same issue with this bike but like I said, I am paying very close attention to it. I have 18 hours on mine and noticed it for the past 6 but so far no issues. I also wonder if it may have something to do with the fuel pump still bleeding off power from the capacitor and therefore running after the motor stopped. Just a guess though.

I was just going to post this,because you guys have EFI maybe your hearing the fuel pump.

check to see if it not the chain hitting the subframe where it mounts to the frame especially if the standard one is still on there.Also a chain roller might be noisey. My coil started to die on me and the engine made a sort of fluttering sound but it also lost power obvisiouly because the spark was failing.

The noise im getting is when the engine still running and bike moving and i recon the last time it did it the noise got faster when i changed down gear. But its hard to say as its gone as quick as it comes.

Went to the track the other night. It never made the noise once. Also no sign of chain hitting frame. Im just going to keep riding and see what happens.

i have the same noise only when i shift into first though, and it is coming from my clutch side i think, cant tell for sure though because it is so intermitten that by the time i start investigating it is gone, bike is at the shop right now, guess i will see what they come up with

I am getting this same intermittant noise. It happened a couple times last ride and I thought it was coming from a buddies bike. I was riding alone yesterday and it happended twice for 2-3 sec each in 3 hours. Seems like both times it was during a hard decel and downshift from 3rd to 1st after a hard aceleration. Did either of you get a resolution to the problem? Clutch? Transmission? starter bendix? Does not seem to affect performance. Oil level is good - Castrol ActiveX. 190 miles, 10 weeks old.

08 KLX450R

Mods:

AIS removed, vent reroute, PMB Exhast tip, JD jet kit, 48 pilot, mixture screw.

TM slide and guide, renthal oring, 12/53, just replaced a bad countershaft seal.

flat land rad guards, TT skid plate, acerbis handguards, race tech springs

i've heard stories that the timing chain is garbage in them and the links stiffen or almost freeze up making alot of noise.

Mine ended up being the kick start idler gear making the noise.Was not getting enough oil Lifted the oil level slightly and the noise never came back. The only reason i came to that conclusion was that during a cross country race i had contact with another bike which damaged the case and started loosing oil. I had not noticed the leak but that noise started except this time it was there long enough to sort out where it was coming from. Lack of oil to the idler gear