Sign in to follow this  

o ring mod for a 2002 400mxc????

did i read that the 2002 fcr carb is different the the later models ? can i still do the jd diaphram and o ring mod on it? i noticed a little bog when the throttle is snapped. just picked up this bike last week , so still learning. thanks in advance.

As you know, the FCR carb. on the 02 is different than the FCR-MX carbs. on the 03 and up that the O-ring mod. is for.

But the O-ring mod. can still be done to the 02 FCR carb. You really don't need the "Honda" diaphram or the JD spacer on the 02. You can adjust the amount (duration) of the squirt by pinching the "fork" together to decrease the squirt. Its best to test this with the carb. removed. You want around a 1 sec. squirt. When you add the O-ring, it may shorten the squirt a little but should intensify the squirt also. WARNING. Do not squirt yourself in the face. It will shoot gas around 6' out of the cylinder side of the carb.

Here are a couple of pics of how I did this. Note that the fork on mine is not pinched together as far as yours may need to be. Mine has the Honda diaphram.

side.jpg

sidesmall.jpg

Edited by L-vie

thanks for the help. i pinched the fork about 1 mm and the bog is gone! thanks again!

One thing to note on that older style carb is the little rubber boot on the accel pump tends to leak allowing dirt into the pump

Just good measure to open up the pump cover and clean things out well (watch the spring) once in a while

L vie , i noticed that you have a o ring around the fork

That is the O-ring mod. for the FCR carb. you were asking about. That is why I posted that picture. It is totally different from the O-ring mod. for the FCR-MX carb. that most people talk about.

As long as you don't have a bog, I wouldn't worry about the O-ring.