Sign in to follow this  

Carb issues. Pilot jet? Valve Issue?

Ever since I adjusted the air/fuel screw when i took my bike down to sea level from approx 3600 feet i would have to have the idle a bit high, and if i tried to get it lower but it wouldnt hold idle, but the bike would run good while still idling high. No pop or any signs running lean.

So i decide to take apart the carb to check all the jets to make sure they were clean. Everything checked out to be all good.

Right now im running a 180 Main. 40 Pilot. And the one near (dont know the name) is a 68.

I put everything back together and tried to get it to run right but it seems like its running lean, and i turned the fuel screw out just about all the way and its still sounding lean. Also the bike would idle low then when gave some gas it wouldnt go right back to idle it would run a bit high then go back.

There are No leaks on any air boots or exhaust.

I plan on running a 42 pilot. Do i need to change Main? or Leak? And start off tuning with fuel screw 2.5 turns out.

Just checked valves one exhaust valve is aprx .155mm which is a tad tight

And one Intake Valve is aprx .076mm which also is a bit tight.

Would this be causing a problem like this? Also I want to get one ride in before i shim the valves. should be safe??

Sorry for such a long post, just looking for some advise/input/answers

Cliff notes: Running lean. 40 pilot. 180 main. valves a bit on tight side.

What model year bike do you have. Also what is the outside temp where your riding. Remember tight valve will create idle problems. You may need to reshim, or rebuild the head.

What model year bike do you have. Also what is the outside temp where your riding. Remember tight valve will create idle problems. You may need to reshim, or rebuild the head.

Its a 2006. Temp is between 45-65 degrees right now. I know it needs to be shimmed but the valves are only a few Thousandths of a mm which makes it hard to believe that this is causing my idle issue.

You need the #42 pilot jet. That is the problem.

Like DK says a 42 pilot would help. At 500 ft. When its 45 out My 07 runs best with a 182 main and a 42 pilot w/ the a/f screw at 2.5. Sometimes I use a 45 pilot but need the a/f set a 1.5 out. In calif where you ride it could be totally diff. Hope that helps.

I got the 42 pilot in. Is two turns out on the fuel screw a good starting point? Also What is the stock position for setting the air/fuel screw.

The stock position doesn´t matter, since you changed the pilot jet. The fuel screw and pilot jet work together.

But here is a chart:

http://www.teamgreennews.ca/pdf/2006May_TT_Jetting.Chart.pdf

Cool. Thanks for the help, i got everything put back together. started up and ran good, no signs of popping or bog with the bike running on the stand. Too late to ride it around right now, but it seems to be all good so far.