02 450 crf too 04 450 sx

well i have the oportunity to buy a 04 for a good price get something a little newer. how are the 04's?? i gave it a test ride it seems to be smoother but not as much power.. seems like its ligther and skinnier and handles alot better.. any one makea simular transision or should i be worried about anything?

If you have the opportunity get the -05 ,or even better , -06 450 SX. Those have better suspension (especially the forks) and newer issue frame on them.

If you decide to go with the -04 (or -05/-06 for that matter) make sure to get a JD kit together with Honda acc. pump membrane and you´ll find loads more torque and stronger engine throughout the range.

also what is the best gearing? itll never see the track and most tight single track and some pretty decent open areas... its got i think 14 / 48, also did soem re seach what is the honda diaphram, i seen there is a r and d unit i could buy buy with the bowl and acc pump it would be close too 400, is there a simple solution

Edited by foxz

You should have 14/52 on it. Stock gearing.

You don´t need the whole "Power Bowl" capoodle. Just get the "Power Pump" (both RnD items) for under 100 USD and if you do you don´t need to get that Honda diaphraghm either. You´ll be fine with the stock unit.

If you don´t get that Power Pump then you´ll need the Honda unit to cut down the squirt time.

so all id need to get is the honda unit and use the rest of the stock stuff? the powerpump on the site is 142.95, am i looking at the wrong one? i did some reading and some ppl just put the honda diaphram in for 20 bones and be done with it and seem to have alot of sucess.. and its got 14 48.. is 13 52 too much or what should be best... it wont see track and most isnt all that tight but i do get into pretty tight stuff when i travel...its also not to hard to take others along and switch em out

The stock gearing is 14/52. That works well for MX but for trails and such - i don´t know.

The Honda membrane works well , at least on an MX track. I think the adj. pump would be a better choice for trails/woods because you tend to "pump" the throttle a lot more. But any of those two is far better than just leaving it stock.

No. You wouldn´t. Why ? Cause you can then adjust the squirt duration to where it should be (at around 1 sec.) by turning the adj. screw. Honda membrane has a longer "stop pin" to it so it cuts the duration to where it needs to be (again, 1sec.) whereas the stock membrane gives a squirt duration nearby 3 sec. That effectively kills the low end response/power.

• 2 weeks later...