reliable ~ unreliable

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say my most reliable bike ever was my 1200 triple . I regularly valve bounced it . Redline was only 7200 and I used to ride from Townsville to Brisbane a lot and always in one day . The most it took was 14 hours on the old road that went inland at marlboro not the new St lawrence stretch . Thats 1500 klms in 14 hrs averaging around 200 kph . I owned it for 24 years and the first 10 or so it was my only transport . You had to love australia in the 70`s and 80`s . and I would say my worst was a 78 PE 250 . Something went wrong with it everytime I rode it , heap of shite :moon: , greg

Pretty much every bike I ever owned has been pretty reliable.....Here is the order in which I got my bikes.......(some are street bikes)

1982 Kawasaki KDX80 - blew a hole in the piston :-), rear wheel bearings, occasional plug fouling

1985 Honda CR80 - Broken Frame, occasional plug fouling

1973 Yamaha AT3 125 - Bullet Proof

1989 Honda CR125 - occasional plug fouling

1982 Yamaha 750 Seca - No issues

1985 KTM MX125 - Clutch Blew into 1000 tiny pieces

1999 Harley 883 Custom Sportster - no issues

2003 Suzuki DRZ400S - Dead Speedo, Couple battery problems, hole in side case, lots of flat tires

2005 SSR110-A1 - 2 flat tires

2001 RM250 - 1 flat tire and a couple fouled plugs

1997 Honda XR400 - Broken Kickstart Lever

2009 WR450F - No issues, but its pretty damn new!

So now that I look back on it, my DRZ400, KTM MX125 and KDX80 have been the most unreliable bikes!

Edited by panaman

Doing a bit of internet diagnostics here but those 2 strokes you had that fouled plugs, I would put that down to the wat they were ridden mostly coupled with fuel mixture and tune.

Would I be wrong in assumming you did a lot of stop start trail riding or low rev high gear cruising?

Edited by doctorZeee
fat thumbs on small thumb board

Every bike I've ever owned has been reliable. It has just taken a variety of time and money to keep them that way.

Most expensive was the Gamma. It was also flogged the most mercilously.

The Z1000 and my old KZ1000 have both been the best.

The XS650 sucked but I was a bigger dumbass back then.

The 2 strokes have all been good but never reliable in any sense.

The DRZ, it's been flogged almost as hard as the Gamma maybe harder, but it's a money pit. :moon::cheers: For all the good reasons though.

ive only had 3 bikes that were my own.

1984 xr80. never had any issues with it until my friend drowned it in a pond. sold it after that

1983 honda xr500. knows when i get paid but i think its only because i dont truly have the money to fix it right.

my 07 drz 400 has been reliable but i havent really been able to tear it up in the woods that much.

Most reliable: 1978-79 GS1000 Suzuki. Put over 200,000 miles combined on 2 of them with absolutely no breakdowns. Sold both bikes and the new owners rode them for years before I lost track of them. Frankly, all my bikes have been rock solid reliable.

Least reliable: KTM. 2 friends have KTMs and both have had to borrow spare bikes before our weekend rides were over. This included a brand new KTM-EXC 2 rides in a row.

Most reliable dirt

1973 Yamaha mx 250 & 1973 mx 360. MX 250 died in 1985, could have fixed it but it was to out dated.

Most reliable street

1978 Suzuki GS550, Bullet proof bike, Bored to 610 cc, stage 1 cams, 4 ito one header, ain brakerless ingnition, yellow jacket coils, barnet extra plate cluch and lost of littel things, couldent kill it!

1983 Kawaski KZ1000R Edde Larson replica. Turned out to be a collectors item.