Sign in to follow this  

06 YZ125 Clutch question

Hi,

Just got a used 06 YZ125 and it runs great. Ordered the new shift stop and side case gasket and will replace those parts. My question is while I have the side off the engine should I replace the clutch plates and friction plates. If so, should I buy stock or other brand. 14 yr old moving up to a 125, bike will be raced MX and SX. I have never replaced a clutch so not sure what to look for. I have a manual.

Thanks,

David

If they haven't been replaced yet then, yes, replace the clutch plates and friction plates with OEM parts. You might as well get that bike fresh for your son for safety sake if he's running mx/sx tracks.

I second that motion; in fact, a lot of Yamaha dealers are now "pre packaging" clutch replacement parts and selling the whole works for a good price. Check a few though, some mark their parts up more to cover overhead.

Oem yamaha clutch plates are the best I haven't looked at the manual in for my '06 in awhile but I know that even on the older motor. The metal drive plates should be facing a certain way when you stack the plates.

I think it mentions this in the manual but the one far outter edge is smooth vs a flat edge the flat edge is suppose to be facing up. Yes it will still work if you did it backwards but it's a common thing most owners miss.

The difference is a lighter smoother clutch pull some of the cheaper after market plates don't even have the rounded edge. This is only for the metal driven plates not the fiber friction plates.

Thanks Guys,

I will get a new OEM set from Yamaha on Monday. I have the manual so I will make sure everything faces the right direction. Should the springs be replaced also? Thanks for all your help, kid is excited to ride this bike and I want everything to work great.

Thanks,

David