Sign in to follow this  

87 xr600r

Hello to all. I am new here and pretty new to the whole bike scene.

Any way I have got my hands on an 87 XR600R. It is my first bike I have ever owned so it is all a big learning curve for me. I had ridden mates bikes as a teenager and loved it but for some reason I had never got one for my self, life just always seemed to be in the way. Any way mow I'm 30 and have a Pig.

There are a few things I'd like some help with. The tank is red and has some white marks on it. I have tried a hell of a lot of different products trying to remove the marks but nothing seems to work. Any suggetions at all?

When pushing the bike and riding at low speeds, like pulling up to lights, there is an anoying squeek from the front wheel. I think it is in the brake area. It sqeeks at the same spot every time the wheel turns. Any tips to remove such noices? Also can someone point me in the dirrection to a good guide to adjusting your rear brake.

The bike has had a full motor and gearbox rebuild around 1000kms ago but there is a bit of a whiney noise in 4th when ideling along. As I haven't had much to do with bikes and this is the first time I have riden on roads not sure if it is just one of those noises you have to get used to or if I need it to be looked at.

As I haven't been on a bike on dirt for 15 years I'm a little hesitant to do so, I have 4 kids now and can't really risk hurting myself badly and not being able to work and provide for them. However I really need to get used to this bike and would love to be pointed in the right dirrection. Should I purchase a heap of off road armour and just hit the dirt as hard as I can and if I come off I come off or is their a better and safer way? It is amazing how things that where so care free as a teenager are big and frightining issues when you have a family. feel like a bloody big girl because I haven't seen what this bike can do and I've owned it for a month.

Also I would love to purchase a full new plastic kit for it. Has any one got any links to a good supplier of plastics for the XR range. Does anyone know what years and models are interchangable. Can the newer kits fit the older bikes with mderate mods, like hole placment and such?

Cheers in advance

For fixing plastic, people have said they had good results by wet sanding the surface then polishing with a product like Novus.

31F5DE84GGL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

For new plastic, try here. http://www.maier-mfg.com/

For the front wheel squeak, you might check to see if the rotor is spinning true, not bent. Also check the brake pads, may need to be changed.

4th gear - Not sure. I wouldn't worry about it. You can't really do much about it unless you start changing parts in the tranny. It will probably be fine anyway.

First time off road? Get some knee protection. When you come off a bike, your knees tend to hit the ground first with no reaction time. Some upper body protection is a smart idea too. Noone has ever been sorry they wore all their protective gear. Bikes are tricky and you'll take many falls learning to control that beast off road. Be smart and safe.

Also, you will probably want some aluminum bark busters to protect your hands and levers. They really do a good job saving the levers in a crash.

Last words of advice: Get a manual and keep up on the maintenance. Change the oil and filter frequently and don't neglect your air filter.

Have fun and stay safe. Enyor your new addiction.

just take it easy in the dirt at firist untill you get comfy then try to go alitte faster. but get the armor and just have fun

Thanks for the replies. Is there any brands of armour you would recomending stearing clear of? There are so many different brands out there I'm a bit lost. Also I'm a rather large fella, 6'6" and around 100kgs so I might be restricted with the companies that make larger armour.