Sign in to follow this  

Quest for KTM 200 Project

I have been looking for an older KTM as a project bike. I do not have the money right now to buy a newer one. A guy just posted an ad on craigslist in my area for a 2002 KTM 200 EXC as follows:

"good bike with rod bearing bad . family of yz's and want get back to all same brand"

I have not looked at this thing yet but let's assume that the rest of the bike is in decent shape. A couple of questions:

1) I am assuming that I will have to do the top and bottom end. Ballpark what I am looking at cost?

2) I guess I would be worried about the transmission. Any way to tell if the tranny is bad when I look at it?

3) Also anything else you guys would look for? I am pretty mechanically inclined but I have never rebuilt a bike before.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am anxious to join the "KTM world".

the trans should be good

the crank can be re-built but I think most people go with a complete

I would look for a used crank on a part out bike...or a complete motor and then part out your motor to re-coup the $$

I hav'nt had my 2000 200 MXC long enough to know the cost of a rebuild but it's working fine now and I paid 1400.00 with some spares. Try getting hold of Chip at Munn for parts quote. Costs much more if a new cylinder is needed + don't forget things like wheel bearings ans such. The upside if you enjoy working on bikes you can wind up with a great bike for low $.

My connecting rod bearing seized to the crank rebuilt pretty cheap.. Easy job! Go look om Motorsport they have a top and bottom end kit for 250.00 thats a great deal.. Get the bike cheap put some time into the motor and have a bad ass bike! Yeah!

My connecting rod bearing seized to the crank rebuilt pretty cheap.. Easy job! Go look om Motorsport they have a top and bottom end kit for 250.00 thats a great deal.. Get the bike cheap put some time into the motor and have a bad ass bike! Yeah!

I could not find this kit at motosport. I you have time could you send me a link? $250 would be great deal! Thanks

Expect to replace all the bearings on frame and wheels if they have never been replaced or repacked.

That is front and rear wheel bearings (+ spacers and seals), swing arm bearings and seals, top and bottom shock bearings and steering head bearings.

You can get them kited, like from pivot works or others with is much cheaper then OEM.