Sign in to follow this  

cool vid - good suspension.

First I watched that the one thing that made me happy was Trey Canard actually helped load his bike... good to see!

he RIPS for sure, I raced him here in tx at the swan pro challenge (I really shouldn't say raced him...atched him as he went around me more than once in a race!)

His speed is just on another level compared to the average pro

i bet he runs some burley stacks in that shock, if he did that on my personal rmz 250 he would sit on the bump rubber for 75% of the track.

i bet he runs some burley stacks in that shock, if he did that on my personal rmz 250 he would sit on the bump rubber for 75% of the track.

LOL....you sayin your RMZ is plush?

doc

yes soft and cushty for my 37 year old knees that have been riding mx since i was about 13....its a little like you would use for enduro or woods riding in the US.

I took a long hard look at his stuff during his race in the 250 class (he rode both classes on a 250f - and won both)

His forks are stiffer than stiff...compared to everyone else there (jimmy alberstson, both whartons, but blake got hurt, sean hackley, and a couple other fast texas kids...) was no comparison on how stiff his front end was.

But his shock looked quite soft actually, it used all the travel with ease...and seemed really supple. I bet he has different ones for different tracks though, this track has some gnarly braking chop, but no whoops or bad g outs...

When he lapped me (I am ashamed) I tried to follow as long as possible, which was about 3 corners. You do so and you realize a simple fact, the bump your getting kicked on...he is getting kicked on too...but he has much bigger balls, and much better skill level to take it all in stride and just plow onward! And his line choiced were so amazing, they seemed simple! I mean if there was a rut that started good, but half way through it went a direction or over bumps that sucked...he would just hop out of the rut and go where he wanted...

If there is a bump he didn't want to hit, instead of just plowing it, he would go around it...basically his skill level allows him to go where he wants when he wants...it was amazing.

Ive rode with a few pros, not of the calibra of Tray but some plenty fast ones, and like you i found 3 corners and they were gone, every corner they went into much harder, faster through and accelerated harder out, i just could not see how they get the power on so early, i tried and just spun up or out.....its a skill thats just above what i know....

If there is a bump he didn't want to hit, instead of just plowing it, he would go around it...basically his skill level allows him to go where he wants when he wants...it was amazing.

Thats part of being so good, not hitting half the bumps thus using less energy. Thats why you see a good rider sometimes using really soft suspension because they're good enough to avoid half the bumps. A smooth rider like that is so much easier on a bike creating less mechanical problems too.

doc

thats me LOL so good i can use soft suspension :moon:

Professional riders always have some diferent types of personal preferences specially in the shocks, in the forks i found it pretty close.

I rode some motocross and enduro bikes of pro´s not in a level of a trey canard but some close and seen some setups.

What impresses me most is the rebound setting´s that they have in the shocks, with the bike still is pretty unreal moving it :moon:

All of them they have the suspension with a lot more stiffness in the forks because the only way they know how to ride is full throttle.

The shape that they are allows them to have it setup in such a way that an average/good rider will not last 10m on the bike.

Normally i say that a pro rider only needs a decent suspension to ride, they are gifted and do the rest :cheers:

Cool video, and yes he's fast, but that bike is a nightmare.

Anyone see it?

Cool video, and yes he's fast, but that bike is a nightmare.

Anyone see it?

Yes dave, Canard must really hate working with FC.

Yes dave, Canard must really hate working with FC.

I'm being completely serious and this has nothing to do with who is working for whom. Don't be fooled by the glossy nature of this peice.

For the purpose of learning something from this just be completely impartial for a minute.

Take away the aspect of who this is and the team behind it and just ask yourself what YOUR opinion of that bike would be if you showed up to the track and someone ask you, "what do you think?".

Look very closely at everything that is going on and I think you'll see what I mean.

Yes, he’s fast, but that bike is doing a lot of things that it should not be doing.

Anyone?

From what I remember, it looked a little unsettled through the whoops, rear end coming up..

yeah i got it :moon:

he loaded HIS OWN BIKE!

or was it tightening every spoke not every other?

ha - on a serious note, it looked to me that the forks worked well, looked planted and predictable. when you watch the front fender there pretty dialled in, but the rear wasnt good,

to me it looked like to much low speed, to little high speed(in the stack) - but the high speed adjuster wound to far in/and or/ to stiff a exchange valve spring. and too little low speed reb.

or thats to me from mem, maybe i need to watch my own link !!

dave?

Edited by RSS - SPI Europe
mis typed

From what I remember, it looked a little unsettled through the whoops, rear end coming up..

Now we're getting somewhere.

A good example of this is 1:30 to 1:37. The rear of the bike, both wheel and chassis is moving up and down at a profile that is nearly the same or more than that of the ground. Way too much bike and rider oscillation.

In my opinion, too much shock high-speed damping and not enough rebound in this section.

yeah i got it :smirk:

he loaded HIS OWN BIKE!

YES!! On a wood ramp no less!! :smirk:

ha - on a serious note, it looked to me that the forks worked well, looked planted and predictable. when you watch

the front fender there pretty dialled in, but the rear wasnt good,

I differ on this.

The front appears to looks fairly clean, but then when you look at what is happening in 1:07 to 1:11 and 1:24 to 1:26 the front is too springy and it's packing. The high-speed on the fork is too stiff as well. You can see his upper body and the bar getting pulled down when he goes through some of those sections (too much rebound) and it hammers him on some of the smaller faster strikes. Watch his hands closely - that's the mid-valve causing that.

The bike (the chassis) is just way too busy.

or thats to me from mem, maybe i need to watch my own link !!

dave?

I think Factory Connection needs to look at this piece. :moon: I mean, it's great marketing because when you watch it you feel so good about the rider and bike and all the cool little shop details. Works great. After I watched it the first time I thought, "Hey, Factory Connection is cool".

But then when you really start to study it, watching it over and over again, the hype moves out and you begin to realize that there are some things going on here that should not be happening with that sort of support behind him.

Additionally, I think this is a great video because it tells a lot about how complicated it is to read a bike (even more so at 30FPS).

And it also is a great reminder that pros make horrible test riders. I know...I KNOW, :cheers: we also think pros are the best at everything, but I can tell you from experience that pro riders are the worst testers. They are so good at making anything fast that they seldom know what's working and what's not.

There also say the same thing regardless of what you do, which is funny because it's exactly the same thing that HE said. AND, they always do it with that thousand yard stare, deer-in-the headlights look. "Yea...feels good".

These guys need to hire NCMM if they want someone who knows how to provide feedback.

By comparison, watch how much more planted and smoother this bike is.

He still has some issues in a few areas, but it's heaps better.

i agree to a point having watched both - but some of that is the track on the canard vid.

but the yam works well for sure.

the more you watch it though you do see more.