Sign in to follow this  

83 XT250 low idle

My relatively new to me XT250 which was a non running bike when I got it. I cleaned out the tank, carb and replaced the petcock. The bike at the moment is running good, usually takes about 5 kicks to start and idles higher with the choke, when the choke is off the bike will idle but definately not nearly as fast as it should, I would say 5 or 600 RPM but this is only a guess as there is no tach on this model. The idle screw is all the way in and I have adjusted the hidden air screw which was the only way I got it to idle at all.

I live at about 6,000 ft. Does this sound like a main jet issue or is there anything else I should try?

check for a vacuum leak at the manifold by spraying starting fluid or carb cleaner. Any change in idle speed means a leak.

How does the engine speed react to the throttle? I would be really odd if it advanced normally when the idle screw does nothing.

This carb is a little different then others I've had to mess with and the service manual does'nt really tell you how to adjust it besides the idle screw, more like don't mess with it and take it to the dealer.

The bike is actually running pretty good, it just has the low idle. The carb has the stock main jet 165 in it and I wondered if going to the next size down may help me at my 6,000 ft of elevation. I've cleaned out the carb good and adjusted and have the proper slack in the throttle cables.

The idle screw does seem to work, I just have to have it all the way in to even get the 600 or so RPM.

Any chance that I get the cable slack info from you. Mine takes a long time to idle down all the way when releasing the throttle which I believe is an air leak at the manifold. Maybe I can get lucky and adjust the cables. I don't have a manual - yet.

Any chance that I get the cable slack info from you. Mine takes a long time to idle down all the way when releasing the throttle which I believe is an air leak at the manifold. Maybe I can get lucky and adjust the cables. I don't have a manual - yet.

I would make sure your cables are oiled good and not binding at all, also check to see if the cable is chafed.

Here's the info on the throttle cable adjustment:

There should be 1/8-1/4 in. of free play

1. loosen the cable adjusters locknut on the no. 1 cable(top cable), turn the adjuster in or out to obtain correct free play, tighten the locknut when correct adjustment is made. The manual does'nt say it but after I did the upper cable I did the same with the lower.

Let me know if you have any luck.

I just received a rebuild kit for my carb and I may try and find the next size smaller main jet to see if it helps. I let you know if I have any luck.

Well I ended up buying the keyster carb kit and I installed it today, the bike is running great. The only thing I did different from what was supplied in the carb kit was I went down on the main jet size, I now have idle to spare.

I do recommend the keyster carb kit:thumbsup:

Hmmmmm. Congrats!

And I bought factory parts. I have not had a chance to adjust my cables yet.

• Like 1

Hmmmmm. Congrats!

And I bought factory parts. I have not had a chance to adjust my cables yet.

I had checked the factory pricing and saw the keyster kit shipped for around $32, I had to go with the keyster.

After taking the carb out and putting it back in today, I adjusted the throttle cables again, I did noticed the way the cables are attatched where you adjust them can slightly bind them making some resistance, so you may want to check that. Let me know how that goes!