Sign in to follow this  

Replace intake boot or not?

Tearing down a 98 yz250 for rebuild. Intake boot shows some signs of dry-rot. A new OEM one costs $78 + shipping. Found a couple on EBAY but they're used and probably not any better than the one I removed. Is there an aftermarket solution?

I would just buy a new one, its worth it, never know what pics dont show intill you recieve it!

THat's alot of money...

Is it cracked?

If it isn't it should still seal perfectly, but it's only a matter of time before it cracks at this point. Last thing you want is dirt in the engine and the engine running lean becuase of an air leak, so like crider said, replace it.

Tearing down a 98 yz250 for rebuild. Intake boot shows some signs of dry-rot. A new OEM one costs $78 + shipping. Found a couple on EBAY but they're used and probably not any better than the one I removed. Is there an aftermarket solution?

I have found buying OEM parts are just as good as aftermarket parts and are usually cheaper too!If you have ever seen what dirt does to a motor you wil change that intake boot fast and a complete engine rebuild cost a whole lott`se moolas too!

I think you only aftermarket solution is a rad valve. I think that replaces the intake boot with one of its own design. Not a bad option if you can find a used one.

Also, someone that switched to a rad valve might have the stoker laying around. Even though the hole pattern looks like a 99-09, its different. The carb sits at the wrong angle.

Are you referring to the part between the air box and the carb? If so, I have one I just tossed in the trash because I don't need it. It's in good condition. It's yours for the cost of shipping if we're talking about the same part. My bike is also a '98 YZ250.

I'm referring to the boot between the carb and the reed valve. It is #7 as Meyer indicated. Cyclepartswarehouse has better prices on OEM than bikebandit. Thanks for the info.