Sign in to follow this  

Cutting valve seats

I have searched this and know that tools are pretty expensive and most people ship to machine shops but how many of you have the tools and cut your own seats? I am very mechanically inclined plus my dad use to rebuild small engines like this. As far as valves and guides go thats no big deal for me but how many people cut and lap thiers own seats? thanks :moon:

Never cut seats but would if i had the tools. I have always lapped my own valves done alot of bikes and a couple of cars including a V8 not a problem just a bit time consuming :moon:

About a 1/2 mile away from my house is an engine machine shop. I dropped my head off with my new valves and two hours later they had it done for $20. If you have the stuff to do and if your dad has experience doing it, I say go for it. Just remember that if it is not done right you could easily burn up you valves if they do not seal properly.

With the tolerances the Serdi valve cutting machines can hold there is absolutely no reason to not send your head to a shop that uses them. Done right the valves and seats are cut so well that they seal without lapping. In fact Serdi highly recommends against lapping.

It's been several years since I have done my own three angle grinding.

I had a neighbor who bought the tools and I got the chance to rebuild about a half dozen heads. You just don't need to grind valves and seats that often.

I still have valve lapping tools, but I just can't justify the cost to maintain the grinding tools.

Wow yeah i was looking at the neway kits and theyre upwards of a grand.. my grandfather might have the tools though so I'll see. thanks for all the input :moon: