Sign in to follow this  

Minimum amount of wiring for XR400?

As the title says, what is the minimum amount of wiring needed to make the XR400 motor run? I am converting my 400ex to kickstart and do not run headlights/tail light, and will not be running a key (using a killswitch). I plan on just splicing the appropriate wires from the key together.

Basically, I just need to know the bare minimum I need to make the motor run. The wires from the ignition pulse generator/stator that go to the CDI, CDI to Coil. Do I need the regulator if I am not running lights or battery?

Thank you for any help you might provide for me.

I may be wrong, but if you are only planning on wiring for the engine I dont think you need the regulator. I have a white brothers rev kit for my XR400 and recently tore the entire harness apart to get rid of the wiring I didnt need to clean it up. I kept my wiring for my lights, but remove the stock CDI and everything else that wasn't used with the rev kit.

That's my thinking as well. I just swapped out mine for a reg/rec for getting the bike ready to plate. From what I remember, the regulator only has wiring from the lighting coils going to it.

I may be wrong, but if you are only planning on wiring for the engine I dont think you need the regulator. .

I think you can go from this

scan0001-3.jpg

To this. only 99.9% sure you can get rid of the ac regulator i think the cdi has its own built in unit:thumbsup:

xr400.jpg

Thanks everyone. That was pretty much what I was thinking for the wiring diagram. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to burn my stator up. Thanks!

I have removed all unnecessary electrical from my XR400 that can be removed. This includes cutting the wiring harness apart and removing the wires for the lights that have been long since removed. I also removed the stator windings that run the lights. Want to know more? Respond.

XR Bob

Ok, I have never had a use for the lights. I ride mostly motocross and occasional trails. So I took off the lights early so they wouldn't get broken. The saw the wiring diagram above on a previous string and tried removing the lighting regulator. With it unplugged and off the bike the bike still runs the same.

Then, I decided I would cut apart my harness and remove all wires not associated with firing the spark plug. So far, so good.

Last, I decided that four of the coils on the stator were for the lights and decided those can go too. Along with removing the coils I removed the opposing posts which are there to balance the magnetic forces on the flywheel. If you want to see a picture visit "Thor" in XR Bob's garage. There's a picture under "Modify ignition".

However, be warned on the coil removal. I have not got my bike together yet due to waiting for the rockers to be hard-faced. So, I cannot say if the coil removal was a success or not yet.

XR Bob

On the later XR200s with the floating ground lighting circuit, the two wires for the lighting circuit (pink & yellow) are jumpered together, so I suggest that if you remove the lighting stuff from your 400 you do the same. The other alternative is to remove the wiring from the alternator coils.

I know the topic is electrical, but something popped into my head. is the kickstart gonna work on a 400ex? the old 250r had a forward kickstart, since the rear fender would interfere with the sweep of the kickstarter going backwards.

Yeah, it will kick backward, but you just trim the fenders. Everyone drops in a yz426 motor or crf450 motor and they all kick backwards as well. Thanks for all the input everyone.