Sign in to follow this  

How do you pick handlebars...there's so many!

Right now I have a '92 klr250 with aftermarket bars, not sure what kind. They are nice and high (I'm 6' 1") but the sweep is so crazy that if I have to lean forward to accelerate or go up a hill they end up in my lap and my shoulders are ahead of the bars! Obviously this puts me off balance!

So I'm looking into getting a new set that is tall enough to be comfortable for a full day of woods riding, short enough for tight trees (29-30" I think is what people run, no?) and with less sweep so that I can move my hands forward and allow myself more room to lean forward.

I'm hoping someone in a similar situation can give me some suggestions based on their experience. I've never bought bars before. Thanks!

Take a trip to a local dealer who stocks a bunch of the different bends. Pick them up one by one and close your eyes to "feel" how you like them. Dont look....feel.

• Like 1

Actually, I just found by accident the msr dominators which look like my current setup. Same bar pad, same crossbar mounts. Not sure on dimensions and I don't know if there's another bar that looks similar with different dimensions.

Stay away from the MSR dominators. I had a set on my kx way back when I didn't know better. Needless to say they bent from the bike falling off of the triangle stand. As far as most bars, they are so close to the same that most people couldn't tell the difference in bend. Most are millimeters off from each other with the exception of a freestyle bend and a lot of the high bars. Pick your favorite brand, color, signature name, and price you can afford and you're set!

I went through all kinds of different bar bends trying to find a good bend, and ended up with CR high bend bars, good rise, and not too much pull back, but every manufacturer seem to have a little bit different bend for the cr, so i use renthal fat bars or pro taper, and i have to cut them to length(29.5)

Don't overlook mini bars also. They are typically narrower, higher and straighter (ie less pullback) than mx bars.

Renthal RC Mini is 29.1" wide, and 4.6" high with just a 1.7" pullback. This is narrower, higher and straighter than the CR High.

Check out all the Renthal dimensions here:

http://www.renthal.com/File/apps1.asp?tabtype=5&productid=0&appid=MINI&zone=&biketype=&manufacturer=&model=&bikedate=

Other manufacturers publish their dimensions also. Check 'em out.

Remember with some aftermarket bar mounts you can move the bars farther forward and gain more room that way.

I like the mini bars, they are nice and small for the woods. I would like less sweep and less angle to the grip part, so I can rotate them farther forward.

I have stock mounts so they are not adjustable.

Is there a big advantage to aluminum vs steel? Steel is much cheaper...

If you want a tall, straight bar, look at the Renthal RC High. It's 119mm tall with only 54mm of sweep.