Sign in to follow this  

rode a crf 450r holy crap! and why does it shift better than my yz?

I rode a crf 450r the other day and let me tell you i have never felt power like that in my life. I ride a yz144 and never rode anything bigger. A guy was trying to sell me on the 4 stroke thing and offered me his bike which was nice of him. Honestly i was scared to get on it just because i read how much of a beast these bikes are, but mainly cause i did not want to break it.

I did not even take the bike out of first gear out of fear lol. I would just tap the gas and the front end would just come up off the ground. the power delivery to the groud was insane. I like the experience but i still prefered my yz. I gotta say the honda was eaiser to ride cause you could just hit the gas and the power was there right away. Unlike the yz you really need it built up. That was the only plus of the honda i liked. awsome bike though.

Anyways one thing i noticed was the honda shifted like buttter was in the tranny. Smooth as hell like i almost forgot the shifter was there. My yami lever is stiff till i get warmed up, them its better but not smooth like butter. Any reason for this? I replaced my stopper and use yamalube 1040 in tranny. thanks

The ergonomics and feel of Hondas just are better imo; my son has a CRF450R and I have a YZ125R, YZ250R and a YZ450F they are all great bikes but can't match the Hondas feel that's their thing. As far as the power is concerned yes, the CR has deep torquey power and you can pop jumps right out of a corner with the blip of the throttle, but at the end of the day I prefer the YZ power band because of the overrev and smoothness. As far as shifting, make sure you are maximizing your clutch free play, check the position and adjustment on the shift lever (not bent, etc.) and try some Motul in your tranny.

thanks i will try this. Its not to big a deal but would nice to have a little smoother operation. The freeplay at the lever is correct i know that much

Buy a new clutch cable, or make sure yours is lubed and perfectly clean. Also the obvious things like a loose shift lever mess thing sup.

I have ridden a few of the Honda 450's including the 09 model. I did not notice that the gear changing was slicker. I would suggest that you may have a problem of some sort, whether it be oil or something else as suggested earlier.

Still prefer the 2T for off road even though the 09 CRF 450 is a nice bike.

I was quicker on my own bike around a 3km loop than on the 450 by a reasonable margin, especially through the tight stuff.

lol i dropped it from neutral to first thats all i know and i stalled it and was trying to find neutral again and went up a gear and down.

Yea ever since i got my bike i have clutch issue. The plates always stick together when its cold and i gotta give the bike a rev to drop it in gear and a rev in between shifts at first till the bike gets warm. I just thought it was a two stroke thing so never payed much attention to it. The bikes not hard to shift, but its not smooth either.

The Hondas just shift better. At least they have in the 20+ years that I have been buying and riding bikes. I am a Yamaha guy but this is one area that to me Yamaha has never beaten Honda at.

I would just tap the gas and the front end would just come up off the ground. the power delivery to the groud was insane. I like the experience but i still prefered my yz. I gotta say the honda was eaiser to ride cause you could just hit the gas and the power was there right away. Unlike the yz you really need it built up. That was the only plus of the honda i liked. awsome bike though.

You're comparing a 450 to a 125; any 450 will feel like a monster compared to a 125/144, not just the CRF. The 4 stroke (250 or 450) is easier to ride because of the power on demand that you describe, nevertheless the small bore 2T that you have teaches you to be a better rider. I'd love to get a 125 or 144/150 for track use since they look like so much fun, but I ride a lot of woods/singletrack and need low end torque from the big bore bikes.

Not to start a fluid war here, but I love the shifting on my yz250 (06) with the automatic transmission fluid. I use cheapest type F and change every couple of rides.

Shifts a lot easier, for sure, both hot and cold.

Ran for years on the 02 CR250 and never had to change my plates. Good stuff!

ive got a yz250 and ive ridden a honda and the motor is for me too powerful i liked my friends 2009 kx450 with the efi it hauls and its easy to ride its real nice but i feel lazy when i feel lazy when i ride it cuz its too easy. i love my YZ i love th rip out of corners lol.

Geeze, i thought how much of a big deal you were actually talking about? :cheers:

Those CRF450R's you mean? I do not even like their power compared to a 250 2-stroke especially in the trails, not to mention how much they weigh.

Have you ridden a modern YZ250?

Here are some photos taken in November 2007 ---- my '08 YZ250 and my friend's (former) '07 CRF450R....

....In less than a year he sold it haha! :smirk:

spa53795cy1.jpg

Is this the bike you oh so thought shook your senses?! haha!🤣

spa52991hi6.jpg

The same guy can't believe why for more than 2 years now, i still don't wanna sell him my '08 YZ250....

....Geeze, just few days back i just had him used my YZ in the trails (full-time!) and he f-------ng love it more than his now stable-ride '08 CRF450X! 🤣

Ride a YZ250 and never look back! :moon::smirk:

dsc02842k.jpg

I rode a crf 450r the other day and let me tell you i have never felt power like that in my life. I ride a yz144 and never rode anything bigger. A guy was trying to sell me on the 4 stroke thing and offered me his bike which was nice of him. Honestly i was scared to get on it just because i read how much of a beast these bikes are, but mainly cause i did not want to break it.

I did not even take the bike out of first gear out of fear lol. I would just tap the gas and the front end would just come up off the ground. the power delivery to the groud was insane. I like the experience but i still prefered my yz. I gotta say the honda was eaiser to ride cause you could just hit the gas and the power was there right away. Unlike the yz you really need it built up. That was the only plus of the honda i liked. awsome bike though.

Anyways one thing i noticed was the honda shifted like buttter was in the tranny. Smooth as hell like i almost forgot the shifter was there. My yami lever is stiff till i get warmed up, them its better but not smooth like butter. Any reason for this? I replaced my stopper and use yamalube 1040 in tranny. thanks

Edited by kotaro

I've owned 3 CRF450R, and they are great bikes for many. Some things on a Honda work so well today or in years past that many defer to their own bike working "as good as a Honda" in some categories. Alas, there are some things on a Honda that come with a not so spectacular relative comparison.

I love my CRF450R. I bought another YZ250 though due to the cost of mtc of the 450. I will keep the 450 and keep riding it but only on the track so it accrues hours more slowly. I will put the crap hours on the YZ since it is cheaper to operate.

yeah i could never own a 450 thats too much bike for me and beyond what i need atleast for now. I never rode a yz 250 and really want to now to see the comparison. My buddy just got a 250 but its a pre 00. All i did was sit on it and it feels like it weights 300 pds.

I thought it was funny cause i offered the guy to ride my bike and he said no cause 2 strokes scare him cause the power band so each their own i guess.

What year YZ are you comparing to the CRF?

My bro's old CRF450R shifted MUCH better (smoother ie not notchy) than my old 5speed (2003) YZ 125. The 5 speed was horrible, Yamaha had a bad case of notchy gearboxes on some of its models (R6) around that year.

However both my 6 speed 125's shifted as good as the Honda without any doubt.

I got a 05. My basket is a little notched but not bad.

I also owed a new 150f honda and same thing. It shifted great and easy to ride.

When you are talking about shifting, do you mean the gear shift itself, or the clutch action?

I ask because you talk about it being stiff when cold, and also the notched basket thing. This would lead me to believe that your basket/hub are due for filing or replacement, and the clutch cable could use some lube or replacement. Either one of those things can give the clutch lever a poor feel (stiff, inconsistant, hanging, etc).

As for the shifter itself, how often are you changing oil?