Sign in to follow this  

Pit Support Choices

I'm planning to race the 500 and 1000 next year and trying to figure out this pit thing. I understand there are a few services you can pay for. I guess Honda is the way to go? Their website says they have "over 500 years of Baja racing experience." Has Baja racing been around that long?

Other pit support options?

JCR/Honda Pits, Mag7 Pits, Baja Pits

JCR best for sure if on an X.

M7 has been around for a few decades and have always been solid.

BP has been around less and has had some growing pains but recently they have really gotten it together and do an excellent job.

What kind of bike you planning to race? Anything other than a 450x makes sense to use M7 or BP.

Racing with multiple riders or solo?

M7 & BP pros:

inexpensive

they stick around to pit everyone, even if you're a late enough bike to not finish before your time cut off

Cons:

You're on your own other than tools and gas/lubes

Exact info of pit locations lacks some info

JCR pros:

Excellent pit location and access info

Great radio comms

Fully stocked with 450X parts

Pre-planned & supplied air filter changes - they actually have certain pits the JCR Staff replaces your air filter for you, you don't even need to supply a new filter, they just do it. Now that's service!

Cons:

You might not make the pit closing times JCR sets if you are farther back in the pack (maybe with problems, slower riders, or solo)

Some might say the cost (double the others) is a con but I don't see it that way considering 1 simple (or not so simple) part that JCR has for your bike in need could be the difference of finishing or not

Just my thoughts on Baja Racing Pit Service, Who ever you go with everyone helps the racers during the RACE.

And, BAJAPITS, SCORE pit of the year got me through the Last Six Bajas SOLO. I ride the street legal bike to the race from San Diego, race and ride it back home.

But, we all help each other get to the finish line, so you can count on all involved to help you if you get into a jam.

1+BBM

JCR is the call if you're RACING a HONDA and you want to see trained motorcycle mecanics at every pit. If you have and "special needs" not so much. In the 07 Baja 500, they refused to take a spare wheel and RX goggles to any of their pits; our crew was required to deliver items to the pits. I don't know if thats still the case but that gave me a total limp-on.

Baja Pits has great service before during and after the race. the price is much less and you still get your gas. Agreed with BBM that Baja Pits has had their growing pains in terms of catering to the bikes. Carlos Orozco of BP has listened to the bike and quad racers for their input and has made improvements. They try as hard as anyone else or harder to please their customers.

MAG 7 staff speaks perfect English, they are swift, knowlegable and

friendly.

During a SCORE race if you need water or some tools you can stop at most any pit; Checkers, MAG7 BAJA PITS, BFGOODRICH; and they'll take care of you no questions asked (no priority though)-. Say you miss one of your pits and on reserve, you could stop anywhere and get some gas. Many BAJA racers like to carry cash, always a great idea.

JCR/Honda Pits, Mag7 Pits, Baja Pits

JCR best for sure if on an X.

M7 has been around for a few decades and have always been solid.

BP has been around less and has had some growing pains but recently they have really gotten it together and do an excellent job.

What kind of bike you planning to race? Anything other than a 450x makes sense to use M7 or BP.

Racing with multiple riders or solo?

M7 & BP pros:

inexpensive

they stick around to pit everyone, even if you're a late enough bike to not finish before your time cut off

Cons:

You're on your own other than tools and gas/lubes

Exact info of pit locations lacks some info

JCR pros:

Excellent pit location and access info

Great radio comms

Fully stocked with 450X parts

Pre-planned & supplied air filter changes - they actually have certain pits the JCR Staff replaces your air filter for you, you don't even need to supply a new filter, they just do it. Now that's service!

Cons:

You might not make the pit closing times JCR sets if you are farther back in the pack (maybe with problems, slower riders, or solo)

Some might say the cost (double the others) is a con but I don't see it that way considering 1 simple (or not so simple) part that JCR has for your bike in need could be the difference of finishing or not

Can't argue with this, the only other two options (if money is no object) that I can think of, honestly I'm shocked Tim left off!

1) Consider using a service like BajaBound to help you with Pre-running, race planning and logistics. (...so you're not left pre-running with a borrowed bike, helmet, boots and in shorts!!!)

2) On numerous occasions we have paid for 'both' the Honda and BajaPits services as a sort of back-up plan. (when the championship was on the line)

Edited by NewMexican
Add some flavor...

Their website says they have "over 500 years of Baja racing experience."

It does say 500 years! :moon::cheers: That has to be a typo, but even 50 would be an outrageous statement...

It does say 500 years! :cheers::smirk: That has to be a typo, but even 50 would be an outrageous statement...

Unless they are talking about the combined experience of all the pit crews! :moon:

Unless they are talking about the combined experience of all the pit crews! :moon:

No offence, but some of those guys are lookin kinda weathered! :smirk:

...plus if they are talking about combined age, I think that Over 50 Honda team of O'Neal has over 500 years experience too! :cheers:

But even your combined years of experience can't be greater than the event for which you have acquired said experience. That just doesn't make sense!

Edited by Justin Hambleton

"Honda pit staff have a collective of over 500 years of Baja racing experience"

Do the math, it totally makes sense. Just marketing.

Heck, just with all'ya'all talking about how they worded that is great for them, getting 'em hits.

common guys.. its the very basic theory of relativity, everbody knows that.. the people on the sidelines (pits) age at a very accelerated rate where as really fast guys are at warp speed on the course.. their time stands still when compared (or relative to)...

thats why some guys in pink trucks look all cute and youthfull with their:blush: little flatbills

Heck, just with all'ya'all talking about how they worded that is great for them, getting 'em hits.

Well in that case, I have over 1,000 years of Baja racing experience. Who's the Bishop of Baja now?

love it...

the farmacias next door generic purples

(psst, i know you dont really want one at that place)might do the trick...

I had a "limp on" once at Anthony's, only once though.

If you are racing in a class where Mag 7 has paid racers, they wont help you until all their paid racers have either passed by that pit your at, or have been declared out of the race.Otherwise, they have a good motorcycle/quad service. Normally, the price for pits doesn't include your race fuel. Up until 2006, they charged for the use of dry breaks for their bikes and quads. They now have enough and dropped that fee.

Baja Pits fee's include up to 3 gallons of fuel per M/C or quad entry at each Score race. Plus they host a pre run pit stop before each race in support of their racers. For the past 4 years, at the first SCORE race of the season (the SF 250), M/Cs and quads race for free (no pit fees and up to 3 gallons of 91 octane fuel free as well) with only their yearly club fees to be paid in advance. They have spare M/C tires and M/C tubes at every pit for free if you need one there. They added a Motorcycle/Quad pit coordinator from another well respected team back in 2004, that has improved their M/C and Quad pit support 110%. BP has been racing/pitting Baja races now for over 2+ decades in a row, and pits both Score and Code racing in Baja, as well as BITD and the DRIVE series. For 2010, they are the Score Pit Crew Team of the Year.

JCR (formerly Honda Pits) is the top dog route to go if you are racing a 450X or R in my opinion too. They specialize in Honda's and their pits have most parts needed to keep Honda 450's going. However, in an emergency pinch, they will help any Honda that pulls into their pits, especially at night. They are usually twice the money of M7 or BP, but again, they specialize (and only pit for) in Honda motorcycles. They have two drawbacks in my eyes too. One, they wont stay open forever waiting for you to arrive if delayed. Two, if you happen to be there when one of the two factory teams is there (the A or B team bikes), your service will be delayed until those bikes are out of the pits first. JCR is there to win the races, so they make no excuses for this.At Mag 7, Baja Pits, FAIR and probably Checkers too, its first come, first serve. Regardless of where your at in the point standings that year or that race, your service is as good as the next racer that comes in before you or after you.

All these pit teams normally run 50 mile pits or less these days. A hold over from the 2 stroke days.

Checkers only pits for checker members. FAIR is similar to Mag 7, but a different club. They are set up to pit similar to Mag 7 as well.:moon:

Edited by Ret09
Racer status in the pits

Two[/b], if you happen to be there when one of the two factory teams is there (the A or B team bikes), your service will be delayed until those bikes are out of the pits first.

i hate it when this happens...

Edited by lento