switching to synthetic after 16k on dino

I want to switch to rotella synthetic. So I need to use a semi-syn first? I frequently submerge my bike. Will synthetic oil absorb water as well? I want it to absorb water so when I do an oil change the water that entered will flush out. Same with metal particles, I have heard that dino oil does a much better job at absorbing metal so when you do an OC it all drains out. I want to extend my OC interval and i am very hard on my drz sometimes running it for 22 hours straight at 70mph.

I want to switch to rotella synthetic. So I need to use a semi-syn first? I frequently submerge my bike. Will synthetic oil absorb water as well? I want it to absorb water so when I do an oil change the water that entered will flush out. Same with metal particles, I have heard that dino oil does a much better job at absorbing metal so when you do an OC it all drains out. I want to extend my OC interval and i am very hard on my drz sometimes running it for 22 hours straight at 70mph.

You don`t need to run semi synth.....then synth. Go straight to synthetic. I would not switch to synthetic to gain longer OC interval. Specially if you are running long at 70mph. The gearbox beat the snot out of the polymers, and even break down the oil more. If you want it to last......Try to do the OC every 1000 miles...give and take a few.:moon:?

Erling

You don`t need to run semi synth.....then synth. Go straight to synthetic. I would not switch to synthetic to gain longer OC interval. Specially if you are running long at 70mph. The gearbox beat the snot out of the polymers, and even break down the oil more. If you want it to last......Try to do the OC every 1000 miles...give and take a few.:moon:?

Erling

so you think that synthetic will break down faster with this sheering gearbox?

Do you think using syn will make the sludge in my engine loosen up? The sludge could then plug my oil passages, such as crank journal passages, and will seize the crank bearings. If it aint broke dont fix it, I would hate to have a problem switching over. If you mix synthetic geese with normal you get sludge, wouldn't it be similar with oil?

Do you think using syn will make the sludge in my engine loosen up? The sludge could then plug my oil passages, such as crank journal passages, and will seize the crank bearings. If it aint broke dont fix it, I would hate to have a problem switching over. If you mix synthetic geese with normal you get sludge, wouldn't it be similar with oil?

i thought if you mix synthetic geese with normal you get a duck.

If you have sludge in there now.... You are going too long between OC.

:moon:?

Erling

You can switch back and forth either way anytime. You should not have any sludge in your engine unless you have been very lax in your maintenance. All oils have detergents. Synthetics have less because they naturally have more solvent properties. Rotella T synthetic is good oil. I use it in many of my machines.

For the DRZ400, I recommend a better grade of real synthetic. Many threads on oil here so I'm not going to go into it further.

The sludge that forms mixing different types of grease and lubes is a different question. As long as you are mixing engine oils, it is not a problem.

His sludge could be the parafins left behind by using automotive oils. Use a good synthetic and change every 1000 mi. I use Rotella T in my DRZ with no issues. I figured the sheer resistance of the Rotella can't hurt, and it is the oil Suzuki has its name on.

If you have sludge in there now.... You are going too long between OC.

:moon:?

Erling

last time I checked it was clean as a whistle. Does synthetic absorb water as well? When you change the oil do clutch particles flush out as well? these are the two minuses for me to switch to a syn.

last time I checked it was clean as a whistle. Does synthetic absorb water as well? When you change the oil do clutch particles flush out as well? these are the two minuses for me to switch to a syn.

None of them will absorb water..... They might slush it and somewhat transport it....but chemically will not absorb it.

Either will transport clutch particles....and other particles for that matter....:moon:?

Erling

None of them will absorb water..... They might slush it and somewhat transport it....but chemically will not absorb it.

Either will transport clutch particles....and other particles for that matter....:moon:?

Erling

awesome just the answer I was looking for. I am switching next change.

Erling

engines are broken in with dyno oil for the seals right? That would make sense. I read somewhere that syn oil increases slude deposits because the crap doesnt get absorbed in the oil, damn people with their untested opinions.

engines are broken in with dyno oil for the seals right? That would make sense. I read somewhere that syn oil increases slude deposits because the crap doesnt get absorbed in the oil, damn people with their untested opinions.

Synthetic oils are too slippery for rings to break in right. There are a few bikes that comes with synt. from new. A friend of mine bought a ktm 950sm. After 1500 miles...he found that it was smoking a little, and were using oil...... He put mineral in it.....let`er rip for a 100 miles..........oil consumption stopped along with the smoking...... Go figure.....:moon:?

Erling

Synthetic oils are too slippery for rings to break in right. There are a few bikes that comes with synt. from new. A friend of mine bought a ktm 950sm. After 1500 miles...he found that it was smoking a little, and were using oil...... He put mineral in it.....let`er rip for a 100 miles..........oil consumption stopped along with the smoking...... Go figure.....:moon:?

Erling

:cheers:

His rings were already set by 1500 miles.