Sign in to follow this  

1984 YZ250, in need of assistance

The bike hasn't been running for a few months and I just got it going again, but the clutch lever won't return, I have to push it back. It was in fine condition before. I changed the oil and let it warm up and no change.

It is also leaking gas like mad through the overflow tubes in the carburetor. I figured that it was the float needle, so I pulled it out and cleaned it and both the needle and the seat were in great condition. I poured some gas through the top fuel hose and pushed up lightly on the needle and it stopped. The float level is to specs. So I don't know why it is still overflowing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Is the clutch return spring broken? I'm not remembering if it is outside the clutch cover or inside, but it is on the shaft that the cable is attached to at the engine. The carb could be simply adjusting the float level or possibly the floats or a float have sprung a leak and are full of fuel. Most likely it is float level or even some binding, when you had the carb apart did you turn it upside down with the bowl off and watch the float drop? It should come down with just turning it over and no help in moving the float.

Just a few ideas that may be of help, good luck!