Sign in to follow this  

Want to do faster turns?

I thought I would add something positive..

I help alot of local kids ride safer, which=faster, And one of the common things I hear about fast rutted corners is.."I can't bring myself to lean the bike over at that speed and the bike stands up or walks out of the rut."

So instead of telling them to try and lean the bike over, I tell them to try and touch thier foot to the front fender..Whats that do you ask?

It makes your wieght drop to the inside of the bike, stopping it from standing up and walking out, and gets your feet out of danger.

Its a subliminal deal...Taking your mind off leaning..try it next time it really works.

Thank you goes out to Schawn Morgans Dad for the tip back in 1992..He helped me get faster one day while practicing at Erie MX in Denver..Just passing on the craft!!

BBRRAAAP!:moon:

• Like 3

Great coaching tip. I have to remind myself fairly often to stretch out to get my feet near the front axle when turning.

I am glad to help...I bleed dirt bikes...Or is it that dirt bikes have made me bleed????LOL!

Wouldn't change a thing overall..I just wish I would have had someone explain to me that I needed to slow down to go faster..And tell me to stop smashing my face in dirt riding over my head!

I make people ride along at 5 mph standing up with no hands..Using only thier legs to stear the bike as well. most say it can't be done..afterwards they say.."I never knew my legs were so strong!" I peal the airbox graffix off with my boots and knees I squeze so hard! Watch Travis ride!

• Like 2

This is a great tip. I don't currently have trouble with corner confidence, but I have forever burned it into my mind while riding. Thanks! -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

That's good advice! Someone actually told me this just last week, and it really does help out a bunch...

Nice trick! Would it also work with perfect bowl berms? There's an indoor track with bowl berms and I need to carry more speed through those:

PB170128.jpg

Yeah! These are the berms I ride. Bowl berms make it super fun to try to lay the bike down almost as hard as you can on the gas. Also, in a perfect bowl berm you can start the nasty throttle at the very entrance to the berm. Throw yourself at the apex as hard as you can and it'll slingshot you out.

REMEMBER!! EVEN ENTERING, LOOK AHEAD WHERE YOU WANT TO BE. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

I help alot of local kids ride safer, which=faster, And one of the common things I hear about fast rutted corners is.."I can't bring myself to lean the bike over at that speed and the bike stands up or walks out of the rut."

So instead of telling them to try and lean the bike over, I tell them to try and touch thier foot to the front fender..Whats that do you ask?

It makes your wieght drop to the inside of the bike, stopping it from standing up and walking out, and gets your feet out of danger.

Its a subliminal deal...Taking your mind off leaning..try it next time it really works.

Thank you goes out to Schawn Morgans Dad for the tip back in 1992..He helped me get faster one day while practicing at Erie MX in Denver..Just passing on the craft!!

BBRRAAAP!:moon:

ia ctually made this discovery myself a few motnhs ago for offroad riding, never thought of it that way but it's helped my alot with speed on single track with ruts, a lot tighter and slower but same princible, sometimes i ride a lot slower then normal and i think it's because i'm not pulling my foot up enough, at least now i can think of what it is i'm doing, cheer's mate

I can all ways tell when I'm gripping with my legs when dirt is packed in every little spot in the frame. haha

I'll have to try getting my foot up more. It's just a matter of spotting my lines. Once I'm in the rut I can usually carry my speed, but I think I look at it too much and just need to look past it.

hmmmmmmm indiana huh?

where you riding at? haha

I'm just starting out in MX (been off-roading for yrs) and would love some coaching before i develop too many bad habits on the track :moon:

BBRRAAAP!:banghead:

Too add to that, you might suggest they weight the peg facing the corner as well. It seems to help the bike stay in place, especially in flat type corners, or at least it does for me in the woods. Gordo

hmmmmmmm indiana huh?

where you riding at? haha

I'm just starting out in MX (been off-roading for yrs) and would love some coaching before i develop too many bad habits on the track 👍

South west Indiana..Although the best track in the area is over in Casey, IL.!