I Cracked my Rim Now What ??

So i went riding to the track last night and today i was washing my bike and i noticed a crack in the rim/a while back when i bought my bike the rear rim had a small fingernail size crack in one side . Now the other side has a crack too. Dont know if i can get it welded ? or Should I . Or i should just get a new or good used one . And get it swapped out. How much does it cost average to take the wheel and another rim to the dealer to get it swapped?

Heres Pics

Thanks Guys / I probably gues ill need a new rim anybody got one for me cheap new or used ?

DSCN2049.jpg

DSCN2048.jpg

Buy a new rim. Depending on how old the bike is, you will probably need new spokes as well b/c the nipples tend to seize on them. Most places charge $45-$60 to lace and true a wheel. You can do it yourself at home if you want, it isn't hard at all.

Buy a new rim. Depending on how old the bike is, you will probably need new spokes as well b/c the nipples tend to seize on them. Most places charge $45-$60 to lace and true a wheel. You can do it yourself at home if you want, it isn't hard at all.

Oh its a 01 , so its not that hard to lace hmmm .

Take a look at Pro-Wheel, Warp 9, and others. I bought a front wheel for my XR Honda 2 years ago and bought a Pro-Wheel from Rocky Mtn. The TT Store probably has some good deals on wheels also. Most of us don't need to buy "name" brand wheels. It's like paying $150 for a pair of Nikes so they can give Tiger Woods a few mil a year. I laced mine up using my old spokes because they looked fine. New spokes is probably good advice, but if finances are tight, consider a close inspection of yours. I made a rudimentary wheel support out of OSB (plywood) I had laying around and used a piece of welding rod screwed to it for a guide. Make sure you measure with a straight edge from the side of your hub to the side of your wheel (the one you're replacing) before you take the spokes loose, as a reference. Good Luck!

Take a look at Pro-Wheel, Warp 9, and others. I bought a front wheel for my XR Honda 2 years ago and bought a Pro-Wheel from Rocky Mtn. The TT Store probably has some good deals on wheels also. Most of us don't need to buy "name" brand wheels. It's like paying $150 for a pair of Nikes so they can give Tiger Woods a few mil a year. I laced mine up using my old spokes because they looked fine. New spokes is probably good advice, but if finances are tight, consider a close inspection of yours. I made a rudimentary wheel support out of OSB (plywood) I had laying around and used a piece of welding rod screwed to it for a guide. Make sure you measure with a straight edge from the side of your hub to the side of your wheel (the one you're replacing) before you take the spokes loose, as a reference. Good Luck!

That is a true statement for sure. If you just trail ride or are a begginer type rider then this is true. My son has broken a few rims and they have all been other than excel rims. He just turned pro so obveously we cant go on the cheap for that sort of thing. Me I could get away with a set of D.I.D. rims as I am not that fast on a bike.

Personally I've had good luck with pro wheels. The first generation pro wheels tended to crack at the weld, but the second generation has been around for a few years now and seem to be pretty good. I ran second gen. pro wheels on 2 bikes for 2 seasons without any issues. I did oval one slightly when I cased a big triple, but I have bent excels with similar impacts. For me the pro wheels have held up as well if not better than any excel I've had. DID's are kinda flimsy, I had them on one bike and folded the rear pretty bad without even knowing I had hit anything.

Personally I've had good luck with pro wheels. The first generation pro wheels tended to crack at the weld, but the second generation has been around for a few years now and seem to be pretty good. I ran second gen. pro wheels on 2 bikes for 2 seasons without any issues. I did oval one slightly when I cased a big triple, but I have bent excels with similar impacts. For me the pro wheels have held up as well if not better than any excel I've had. DID's are kinda flimsy, I had them on one bike and folded the rear pretty bad without even knowing I had hit anything.

Good to know KJ. When did they start with the "second generation" wheels? I just know from past experiance of running into incorrect sizes as in the actualy rim size was off just enough so that the proper tire for specific rim wouldnt fit and found out the rim was actually larger than it was supposed to. Also broke a few on jumps that they shouldnt have broken on.

Good to know KJ. When did they start with the "second generation" wheels? I just know from past experiance of running into incorrect sizes as in the actualy rim size was off just enough so that the proper tire for specific rim wouldnt fit and found out the rim was actually larger than it was supposed to. Also broke a few on jumps that they shouldnt have broken on.

I'm not sure exactly when they introduced the gen II rims, I want to say around 3-4 years ago. The gen 1 pro wheels were pretty much junk, there were a lot of issues with them.

I'm not sure exactly when they introduced the gen II rims, I want to say around 3-4 years ago. The gen 1 pro wheels were pretty much junk, there were a lot of issues with them.

hey kj i found this whole wheel for $40 he has two but im not sure which one looks like it fits what bike . but it is an exel 19'' 1.85 which im looking for

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/1518606807.html

I did a make over on my 01 YZ a few months ago.......buy new spokes! I spent way to many (4) hours cleaning the spoke and nipple threads.

001-1.jpg

thats sweet. I bought a new Excel Rim. Waiting for that now. MY spokes arent that bad i can clean them. just the hub i dont know how to really get that clean ???