Sign in to follow this  

California Cal City Update

OK, It's been a while so I am giving info on what is in store for 2010. First the good news: The DIRT team and the City are working on opening another trail into Cal City so that riders can enjoy visiting the restaurant at the Cal City Airport. Those who helped on the last Cal City Clean-Up, that's the place.

The New (Used but new to us) 1st Aid/OHV Rider Information building was opened Thanksgiving and has already helped several dozen riders with "mishaps". Within hours of being opened, a young rider was brought to the new 1st Aid building and was Airlifted to a hospital after crashing on his bike. Had internal injuries but was flown to hospital in time for emergency surgery and survived.

There is more IMPROVEMENTS to the riding area coming up, but will post when they are finalized. Don't want any GREEN SPIES ruining anything before the improvements get done.

Now, here's the bad news: Cost of legal issues in keeping everything open is starting to mount up. With that and increased number of "mishaps" the cost of running the off-road program will go into the RED soon with the $8/year pass. So the price will be going up to $10/season starting in 2010. Remember the Cal City program is overviewed by the DIRT team and the season permits can only be used to cover expenses to keep the program going. The City is does not make a profit on the permits. They (City) just hope riders visit the local establishments and the increase in local sales will help out the City.

That's it for now.... Enjoy!!

Did Riders Choice move or are they gone? And if they are gone who has a shop for things like tubes, levers etc....???

They are still there and the trail into town ends up right at their door step :moon:

Thank you DTL for all you do for us! Your fees are not bad for all year riding, RED/GREEN/Plated. Have a Merry Christmas and a happy safe New Year.

Gary PALMER84ONE and family.

I'd pay even more to help you guys to keep up the hard work that you do. Us offroader always feel welcome there.

I sincerely hope that everyone riding in Cal City make it a point to spend their money there. I most certainly do!

thanks for everything!

Any chance we will ever get a map of the area that is a bit more detailed than the Friends of JB? I would pay for that!

I think you would surprised how much mapping of the area shows up

on Google and the newer street GPS units

Wayne

Thank you DTL for all you do for us! Your fees are not bad for all year riding, RED/GREEN/Plated. Have a Merry Christmas and a happy safe New Year.

Gary PALMER84ONE and family.

And Merry Christmas to you too. And all TT.

Re better map - Working on that one too. It would be something helpful especially to new visitors. We've been getting a lot of new visitors who used to go to other riding areas.

Forgot to mention one other thing... The annual State Parks grant cycle is approaching. Each year we, like many other areas, compete for some of the green sticker money that is reserved for ohv areas. We (DIRT) will be asking for some this next year. If you like what the City is doing, let state parks know by e-mailing comments to: OHVCommission@parks.ca.gov or OHVInfo@parks.ca.gov If you have any suggestions or complaints, can PM me.

Thanks for everyone's support.

I think you would surprised how much mapping of the area shows up

on Google and the newer street GPS units

Wayne

I agree Google is pretty cool to look at. Im looking for somthing pratical and that might show some points if intrest. I am a long time Dove Springs guy but due to all the stuff going on over there I prefer to take my family elseware. Hopefull Santa is bringing me a new GPS for Christmass.:moon:

Did Riders Choice move or are they gone? And if they are gone who has a shop for things like tubes, levers etc....???

They are open. Under new ownership/name.:moon: