Sign in to follow this  

need help on a 03 crf450 changes

i just picked up a 03 crf450 and its my first four stroke and i dont know anything about them. is there anything i should change on the the bike like the gearing? like to ride alot of hill climbs & track

Congrats on your purchase. You need to go to your favorite riding spots and ride it. Then you will know what you need. Everyones riding style is different so what I like you may not like.

Where in Ca. are you?

• Like 1

Congrats. I got an 03 last year. Replace your cam chain tensioner to a manual one. On the 03's they tend to break. Mine did, luckily I cought it in time otherwise could of been real bad. Other than that it is a great bike. You can find plenty of stuff for it on Ebay for dirt cheap.

If it gets hard to start time for new valves. Go with oem honda valves. Stock gearing works just fine. Go 1 step richer on jetting over stock settings. Watch the chain buffer and rollers, they wear out quickly. Use synthetic oil in the top end and regular oil in the tranny. Change every 3 rides. Air filter is a pain. Small airbox.

Oh Lord, don't start the valvetrain talk...I just cracked my 450 open again with +150 hours and the OE valves are still in spec....

Or you can upgrade to some stainless steel valvage, and have the bike a long worry free time. Just did mine a year or so ago, and they have been great.

03 lets see, 20mm triple clamps a must, 13/50 renthall chain and sprockets, adjustable cam gear advanced, jd jetting kit, I ran a fmf pipe with powerbomb header some good bars, ims pro pegs, twin air filter kit with cage, glide plate good brake pads check them valves, I ran athena 488 kit with ported head had no problmes with even the stock valves, if it starts easy there fine, no matter what anyone tells you! Enjoy. One thing bike does not handle for beans unles you buy the triple clamps watch ebay!

Flyn Ryan

I will agree that changing the offset on the Triple Clamps is a huge improvement for handling...Stops that front end push, especially in the tight stuff :moon: