Sign in to follow this  

Wiseco Piston Rings no markings?

I ordered a top end kit for my bike and am still waiting on the gaskets.

Anyhow I did the rind end gaps, I am wondering what ring goes where and what side goes up?

There are no markings on the rings,

1.) Is there any difference between the two rings?

2.) Does it matter what side faces up?

Thanks,

Danny

if it's a 2 ring piston you should have a "rail" ring and a "semi-trapezoidal".

the rail goes on the bottom and only seals from ring tension. It's flat on both the bottom and top surfaces

the semi-trap, the top ring, is flat on one surface and has a slight bevel on the other, look close. The beveled side goes facing up toward the head.

if for some chance your piston has 2 semi-trap rings they both go in bevel face up

if your piston uses dykes style L shaped rings, it's obvious how they fit.

a FWIW, the bevel faces up so as the piston is quickly accelerated down by combustion the bevel interfaces with the ring groove as to force the ring outward against the bore for better seal. Why an engine broke in easy take longer than one broke in hard, there's less "push" outward on the ring.

I looked at the old wiseco rings they look identical, also they look the same whether they are flipped upside down or not. This is why Im confused?

The bike is a 2003 CR250.

If they are rectangular, with no bevel or step cut, then it does not matter which way they go in. Wiseco makes a lot of rings that do not matter on direction.

the older Wiseco rings have marks for the side of the ring that faces up

the newer rings have no marks and can go in either side up. BTW, the newer rings have lower tension.

So I am assuming then that either ring can go in either position, top or bottom groove, as well as face up or down.

I just wanted to make sure, I did searches and couldn't find exactly, but its better to ask then have to tear back in it again and waste money on new gaskets.

So is the quality of the newer wisecos not as great?

Thanks Guys