Best desert tank for aluminum frame?

So I'm moving over to an '07 WR250 from an '05 WR450 (for sale) and am getting ready to start the process of getting it set up. One of the first things I need to get figured is a larger tank. I have the Acerbis 3.3 unit on my 450 and have been really happy with it. I am trying to decide between the Acerbis and the IMS units for the 250. Does anyone have any input on one over the other? I know they are both good units, just looking for some input on the finer points- quality of fit, profile of the tank (does it make the bike wider?), does one carry the fuel lower than the other for better CG, durability of the plastic, etc.

Also, what kind of range can I expect on the 250 with these larger tank. I seem to get about 100 miles on my 450 with the 3.3 and am wondering if it will be similar on the 250.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I'm not really a fan of Clarke tanks... unless someone has the input to recommend it over the other two mentioned. I know the quality will be excellent on both the IMS and the Acerbis units. I'm most interested in how the tanks carry the fuel relative to CG and which tank keeps the bike the narrowest.

Anyone have photos of their bikes with these tanks installed? Maybe a side view and a top view?

Thanks for the post. I too am in the process of setting up a new WR250F. Now that the jetting, uncorking, suspension settings and other stuff is done. The next thing on the list is a larger tank. I don't want to lose the slim, flat feeling of the stock unit or have a large bulbous tank that rides high either. Does anyone know what kind of mileage can be had with the stock tank under in average trail riding........RG

Both IMS and Clarke feel about the same on the aluminum-framed bikes. The one benefit for the Clarke is they make their tanks in-house so if they are out of stock it doesn't really delay getting one. They'll just make it and send it out within a few days. The IMS has a bit better build quality though IMO, but it is more expensive.

I have an '05 wr250f, and i can usually get about 110-120 kms to a tank before reserve trail riding. I don't rev the bike hard though. I am also not sure what that equates to in miles, but as a bit of a guess i'll say 65-70. Thats with the stock 8L tank.

Anyone running the Acerbis tank and have an input to add?

I have the Acerbis on my '07 WR250F. Pretty sure the same tank fits the 450 as well. You guys either have your jetting wrong or never let off full throttle.

I've done over 120 miles out in the Black Rock shown in the pic below.

I've crashed a number of times, no damage. Seems narrow enough but does effect the bike in deep sand some until fuel level drops down a gallon or so.

But if suspension is right then this helps sand performance some ... but the WR250 is not a great sand bike, 450 MUCH better, IMHO. Good luck.

666066555_ueWGC-L.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I have the Acerbis on my '07 WR250F. Pretty sure the same tank fits the 450 as well. You guys either have your jetting wrong or never let off full throttle.

I've crashed a number of times, no damage. Seems narrow enough but does effect the bike in deep sand some until fuel level drops down a gallon or so.

But if suspension is right then this helps sand performance some ... but the WR250 is not a great sand bike, 450 MUCH better, IMHO. Good luck.

666066555_ueWGC-L.jpg

That looks like the 6.6 gal model. That's why you're getting the range you are.

Anyone running the 3ish gallon Acerbis that could give their .02?

666066555_ueWGC-L.jpg

Great photo btw:thumbsup:

That looks like the 6.6 gal model. That's why you're getting the range you are.

Anyone running the 3ish gallon Acerbis that could give their .02?

Hey Einstein, I was born at night ... but not L A S T night. I know what tank I have and it's damn sure not a 6 gallon version. And the reason I'm going 120 miles is because I've got a 250! Duh! :moon:

My Acerbis is 3.3 gallons. Go here to see a variety of tanks for the Yams.

http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/gas_tanks/yamaha_4stroke.htm#Larger_Images

Hey Einstein, I was born at night ... but not L A S T night. I know what tank I have and it's damn sure not a 6 gallon version. And the reason I'm going 120 miles is because I've got a 250! Duh! ?

My Acerbis is 3.3 gallons. Go here to see a variety of tanks for the Yams.

http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/gas_tanks/yamaha_4stroke.htm#Larger_Images

Yikes! Looks like I hit a nerve. Sorry to insult you. :cheers: I thought the only tanks that incorporated the shrouds were the 6.6 gal models. Boy was I ever wrong...

Looks like I will be going for the IMS or Clark so that the radiator shrouds don't have to be part of the tank.

Thanks tons for everyone's input on the subject. :moon:

Yikes! Looks like I hit a nerve. Sorry to insult you. :cheers: I thought the only tanks that incorporated the shrouds were the 6.6 gal models. Boy was I ever wrong...

Looks like I will be going for the IMS or Clark so that the radiator shrouds don't have to be part of the tank.

Thanks tons for everyone's input on the subject. :moon:

I have just got a run-out 09 WR250F and I am wondering about which tank to get as well.

I was thinking of getting either the Acerbis or a Safari 15.5L Mostly because I figured that a tank would be alot better at protecting the radiators (even though I have radiator guards/brace) than the standard shrouds?

What do you guys reckon? And are there any tanks available that are larger than the 13L or so of the Acerbis/IMS/Clarke and the 15.5 for the Safari?

cheers Clarky

Fuel Mileage: the wr in my garage is an 02 with a 3+ gallon tank....very similar motor and carb. Over 4 days of riding at 8000 ft + elevation in usually 3rd and 4th gear and spot on jetting I got 50mpg average. We were trail riding and not racing so not on the MJ that often.

Slightly less mpg this year at 6000 + ft in 2nd and 3rd gear.

A guy with us this year had a 290 yzf, stock tank 2.2 gallon (I think) and made the 60 mile loop w/o running out.