Sign in to follow this  

Non starter and water leak!!;-(

Hi Guys! Full newb here... My yz250 2stroke won't kick ova and seems to have a water leak... I'm fearing the worst think I might have cooked it, because when I looked in the radiator it looked dry..The leak seems to be coming from the water pump!?(the little grey thing near the front wheel..I would post pics but not allowed yet..I haven't checked the plug which I will do asap but haven't had a chance.. I'm guessing the water pump leakage could be an expensive replacement to..sorry for the jumble of sentences.. Braaaaap!

Hope someone can help!

Won't kick over as in you can't move the kickstarter through a full kick?

That would be the cylinder being full of water.

Dave

Did the bike die on you and now won't start?

Or did you just park it, and now it won't start?

Were there any problems when it was running? (excessive smoke, low power, missing / breaking up,bogging, etc)

Hey cheers for reply's!

The bike had been sitting for about a month, and the first kick start it started! about 20 seconds later it died.. (maybe a little white smoke?) then tried for about half hour to start again and no joy. I had a brand new plug put in there and only ridden it once since. My friend said it sounded a bit tinny or something but I couldn't tell, I'm pretty sure 2strokes just sound like that.

Dave when you say that would be the cylinder being full of water is this not right or normal sorry I'm only just learning about these things.. I was shaking the bike a bit when it had been sat in the garage for a bit to see if there was still water in the radiator and water started to drip quite fast out of the water pump but then slowly stop... could this just be the water pump gasket?

Thanks again for your time!

I'd say your water leak is the pump seal leaking. Cost me $100US to replace the shaft, both seals, and the bearing on my '03 YZ. That includes all needed gaskets. Not a very hard thing to do either.

Now, you say "it won't kick over". Do you mean it's locked up, or just won't start? Get this clarified and we can move along to a possible cause/fix.:moon:

Cheers for the help!

Yeah I mean I can kick the kick down but it won't start!?

First off, fix the water pump seal.

Then since the bike has been setting a while, take the carb off and apart, give it a thorough cleaning with carb cleaner. Everything back together, fresh pre-mix, new plug, and I bet she'll fire right up.:moon:

olhillbilly, I've noticed on the newer yz250 that the lower bolt on the water pump is also the drain bolt! could this mean that it just needs adjusting? cheers

If I remember correctly, it was on mine too. Get down there under it and look where the coolant is actually coming out at. There should be a little hole (called a "weep hole") on the bottom of the water pump part of the case just inside of the pump cover. Is the water coming out there? Or someplace else?

If the drain bolt was loose that might be your leak. I'd hoped it was just the gasket on mine too, but it wasn't. If the water is coming out of the weep hole, it's pump rebuild time. Mine didn't leak until I started the motor, then it ran out. But when I shut it off, it'd dribble down and quit. Taking the radiator cap off may allow it to leak a little too.

Find where the coolant is coming from, then you'll know what you have to fix.:moon: